• Investor
  • Snow Hill, NC
Votes |
Mobile Home Lots on Flood Land

Eric Simmons
  • Investor
  • Snow Hill, NC
Posted Aug 10 2022, 13:54

I recently inherited 10 empty lots which are each a quarter to a half acre each. Electric pole and septic tank already installed on each. I'm looking for advice on whether to sell them or put manufactured homes on them.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 10 2022, 15:39

Flood land as in Flood Plain?   The nice part about them being separate lots is you are eligible for conventional financing on new mobile homes. 

User Stats

Votes
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Aug 11 2022, 08:53

@Eric Simmons You may want to look into the history of the area before you proceed. Check to see how many times during the past couple of years the area has actually flooded. Do some digging around to see how neighbors handled the issue. 

Personally, I've been in a natural disaster (flood) with mobile homes in a flood zone. Definitely not fun. 

After the incident, I decided not to do deals in these types of areas going forward. Hope that helps! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eric Simmons
  • Investor
  • Snow Hill, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Snow Hill, NC
Replied Aug 11 2022, 09:05
Quote from @Sean Ross:

Flood land as in Flood Plain?   The nice part about them being separate lots is you are eligible for conventional financing on new mobile homes. 

Flood plain. It falls into the AE category - 1% annual chance of flooding and 26% chance over 30 years. 

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 11 2022, 09:11
Quote from @Eric Simmons:

I recently inherited 10 empty lots which are each a quarter to a half acre each. Electric pole and septic tank already installed on each. I'm looking for advice on whether to sell them or put manufactured homes on them.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Have you run the numbers on this? Have you checked competitors in your area? https://www.calculator.net/ren... I like to use this calculator.