Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes

Requesting a Non Functioning Water Meter List

Kevin Garabedian
Posted Sep 2 2022, 04:20

Unique question but I remember in one of the episodes the guest mentioned they requested a list of water meters/addresses from the towns water department. This requested lists criteria targeted the meters in town that were not in use for 6 months or longer. This criteria basically guarantees the property was vacant and in return would be a potential lead. 

My question to anyone who has successfully acquired this list from a water department is.... How did you do it? I have asked several town water departments and have not had any luck so far. Is there a specific script or department within the water company that I should focus on?

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Garrett
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Florida Panhandle/Illinois
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Florida Panhandle/Illinois
Replied Sep 2 2022, 04:31

You might be able to FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) the information from the city.  I’m not sure if they will release the information in the manner you are requesting it.  The FOIA system is not designed for people to use as a marketing tool.  They might give you the amount of water usage per property as a research project.  It depends on the FOIA Officer.  It never hurts to ask.  If they say no, I would ask what information is available.