• Rental Property Investor
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Votes |
Asking for repairs buying Investment Home

Nathan Frost
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Posted Sep 18 2022, 18:20

How can I get the seller to replace the roof with a new one?  I think they will fix the plumbing leak and other cosmetic items.  But was worked for anyone when buying an investment single family property to get the seller to put a new roof on.  I already had an inspection done.  What leverage can I use?  I'd be fine if they just put a new roof on and nothing else.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Sep 18 2022, 20:10

Tell them you won't close unless it's fixed. 

User Stats

Votes
Curtis Bluth
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied Sep 18 2022, 20:11
Quote from @Nathan Frost:

How can I get the seller to replace the roof with a new one?  I think they will fix the plumbing leak and other cosmetic items.  But was worked for anyone when buying an investment single family property to get the seller to put a new roof on.  I already had an inspection done.  What leverage can I use?  I'd be fine if they just put a new roof on and nothing else.

I’d ask for the roof to be replaced OR a seller credit to be held by the title company to be set aside and paid out of escrow for a new roof. A seller would be more likely to accept the later since it won’t hold up the close date and also would be paid out of title instead of out of pocket.

hope this helps!
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes