Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes

Subdividing 5 acres land into subdivision

Roberto Palencia
Posted Nov 12 2022, 06:01

Hello, 

I currently own 5 acre property and wanted to expand and build a subdivision. I do not know how to start as this would be my first major project like this.  I’d like to divide the land into 0.3 acre lots and would need to make room for roads and utilities and sewer, water etc…how does one start looking at this for planning perspectives. Thank you 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Nov 12 2022, 07:09

You will need to get a civil engineer, land planner and land use attorney involved. I also recommend you bring on a partner who has done this in the past. While you will give up equity in the deal in the long run the project should go faster and be more profitable, so you will give up a lot of headaches for a small piece of the pie

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied Nov 12 2022, 07:12
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

You will need to get a civil engineer, land planner and land use attorney involved. I also recommend you bring on a partner who has done this in the past. While you will give up equity in the deal in the long run the project should go faster and be more profitable, so you will give up a lot of headaches for a small piece of the pie

more than likely unless you have cash to cover the entire project your going to need an experience partner to get a loan.. near impossible for someone with zero experience to get a horizontal loan.
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 12 2022, 08:08

Talk to surveying companies, your city planning department, and engineers on what and what is not possible. These guys will cross off a lot of options you think you had