Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Kerr
  • Fairfield, CA
Votes |
Insurance- - are you paying 8%? of market value on properties?

Jesse Kerr
  • Fairfield, CA
Posted Nov 18 2022, 11:13

Anyone have suggestions on insurance companies?  I'm currently around 8% of market value per property.  Is this in par with what everyone is getting?  100k property - 80'ish/month.  

Appreciated.. 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Bott
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Replied Nov 18 2022, 13:06

@Jesse Kerr  The insurance carriers do not use market value in their premium formula but sq/ft as the basis to their premium.  Therefore, rate per $100 of Building Value & # of units for GL is a much more accurate measurement for comparisons sake.

Here is the current spectrum of rates for Milwaukee

GL - SFR & Duplex- $50-$125, 3-4 unit, $100-$200

Property rates can be $0.10 - $1.00 per 100 when going from a brand new build Class A to a war zone 100 year old building with claims.

An additional factor is the sq/ft of each Building. Some SFR properties in Milwaukee can be 700 sq/ft, while some singles can be 2,000.

Minimum Cost Per sq/ft is becoming a big issue with increased cost of construction and inflation.  On the low end, Insurance carriers are asking for $100 per sq/ft as a minimum insured value if you want Replacement Cost, and $75 if you want ACV.  5 years ago I could negotiate $55 on RC and $25 on ACV.

On the high end, we are seeing insurance carriers asking for $150-$175 per sq/ft.

Hope that helps

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Kerr
  • Fairfield, CA
Votes |
  • Fairfield, CA
Replied Nov 18 2022, 13:12

So I need the most amount of bedrooms for rent's sake and the least amount of square footage to pay the least amount in insurance..  There's the sweet spot noone talks about. 

This is gold info.. Thank you for sharing.. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes