Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
CJ Wilson
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Francisco
Votes |
Include Charter When Analyzing School Districts?

CJ Wilson
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Francisco
Posted Nov 19 2022, 06:07

Hi BP!

I’m researching the schools in a zip code I’m interested in using www.greatschools.org. Do you generally include the charter schools in your analysis or mostly focus on public?

User Stats

Votes
Matt K.
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Votes |
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Replied Nov 19 2022, 06:35
Quote from @CJ Wilson:

Hi BP!

I’m researching the schools in a zip code I’m interested in using www.greatschools.org. Do you generally include the charter schools in your analysis or mostly focus on public?

It'd depend on the value you're placing in the schools. Most places have a popular school/district with the residents, but it's not always reflected in the ratings. You'd have to dig on social media and local blogs etc.

But generally speaking as long as the schools aren't actually terrible, it likely won't have a huge impact on the property or it's already priced in.

User Stats

Votes
CJ Wilson
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Francisco
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Francisco
Replied Nov 19 2022, 06:44
Quote from @Matt K.:
Quote from @CJ Wilson:

Hi BP!

It'd depend on the value you're placing in the schools. Most places have a popular school/district with the residents, but it's not always reflected in the ratings. You'd have to dig on social media and local blogs etc.

But generally speaking as long as the schools aren't actually terrible, it likely won't have a huge impact on the property or it's already priced in.

Ok thanks. I'm looking in West Oakland where the public schools seemed to be rated pretty poorly. You mentioned checking social media or local blogs, how do you go about finding that information?
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Matt K.
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Votes |
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Replied Nov 19 2022, 07:04

Quote from @CJ Wilson:
Quote from @Matt K.:
Quote from @CJ Wilson:

Hi BP!

Ok thanks. I'm looking in West Oakland where the public schools seemed to be rated pretty poorly. You mentioned checking social media or local blogs, how do you go about finding that information?
Google, next door, Facebook....

But what's your play here? Why you targeting schools for a value add to the property? West Oakland is plenty popular with working professionals where school isn't as important as commute/social (food, nightlife, stuff to do).

Just search west Oakland blogs and add schools at the end if you want more focused on that. You're looking for schools that have a strong sense of community, where people would want to move into a rental to go to...

User Stats

Votes
CJ Wilson
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Francisco
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • San Francisco
Replied Nov 19 2022, 07:53
Quote from @Matt K.:

Quote from @CJ Wilson:
Quote from @Matt K.:
Quote from @CJ Wilson:

Hi BP!

Google, next door, Facebook....

But what's your play here? Why you targeting schools for a value add to the property? West Oakland is plenty popular with working professionals where school isn't as important as commute/social (food, nightlife, stuff to do).

Just search west Oakland blogs and add schools at the end if you want more focused on that. You're looking for schools that have a strong sense of community, where people would want to move into a rental to go to...

That makes sense, I like your comment about looking for schools with a strong sense of community. I'm trying to get a grasp on all things that would affect tenant rentability. But you're right, given the location, families with children are not necessarily my target audience and so schools should not be weighted as strongly in my consideration. Thanks for the help!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 19 2022, 11:05

Sounds like you've got your answer ^^ but I'll add my pro educator perspective anyways.

Charter schools are public schools, and I would definitely include them in my analysis UNLESS they happen to be ones with an incredibly long waitlist. I have a hard time believing anybody would move into a rental to sit on a charter waitlist for 1+ years. Also, it's worth noting that they tend to be less geographically bound than traditional districts and can sometimes attract commuter students from all over town.

User Stats

Votes
Osazee Edebiri
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Nov 24 2022, 16:04
Quote from @CJ Wilson:
Quote from @Matt K.:
Quote from @CJ Wilson:

Hi BP!

Hey CJ

To add to what @Matt K. said if you are looking into West Oakland it's not an area people move to or invest in for the schools. I am curious about what you are looking in to the schools for too? 

West Oakland is area people like because it is very convenient to go places from. SF is easily accessible driving or by Bart, but West Oakland is cheaper.

All the neighborhoods or cities with good schools will noticeably cost more.

The David Greene Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy H.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lafayette, LA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lafayette, LA
Replied Nov 24 2022, 17:00

I typically go off of a few school ratings - as long as the school is decent it'll be good to go. If the school is horrible then you might look elsewhere for a long term play. 

It's like having a girlfriend...once she meets a certain threshold it's all the same

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied Nov 29 2022, 19:09

Why?  Why are you analyzing schools?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 29 2022, 19:36

there's a few house appraising software out there that could show you the appreciation block per block. I no longer use an indirect indicator like school to make decision purpose. Because it doesn't really matter in one small hyper-local-regional area. Once you use this software, you will stop using school,etc. School could be useful if you want to invest at broader area area, but even that's like comparing 2 cap rate vs 2.5 cap rate.