• Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville, Indianapolis Triangle

Bret Halsey
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Posted Nov 19 2022, 07:26

Hello all, I just moved to Ohio from Utah and was surprised at how many great real estate markets there are nearby! I've walked a couple properties right near me, but I'm curious if other investors in this region have a preference for one of these markets even if it's not the closest to them and why. I'm planning on getting into a couple flips and BRRR opportunities over the next year and am considering days on market, median sale price, rent potential, and landlord friendliness. Would love to hear the different reasons people have for investing where they do and their experiences.

User Stats

Votes
Rob Bergeron
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Nov 20 2022, 06:54

We invest in Louisville and areas near lakes. We are looking to get a STR in Northern Kentucky or Over The Rhine. My sister lives in Columbus, all great markets! Can't go wrong! Happy to show you around if you visit Louisville.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Fiore
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Nov 20 2022, 07:22

I am a little biased but these areas are hidden gems. A lot of growth and developments happening here in Cincinnati. I work with multiple out of state investors that are looking to get started here. I think a lot more people are seeing the potential of branching out from the major cities(New York, LA, etc.) 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Lingle
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Nov 20 2022, 11:08

The (growing) Midwest cities are no joke! Solid cash flow, appreciation not to scoff at, and less risk during economic downturns. I invest primarily in Indianapolis. I have 2 LTR and 1 STR currently. I think one should invest where they know best and have the best connections. It's hard to quantify that factor. I do think Indy is very landlord friendly (tenants almost always pay utilities, no pay no stay, lax STR regulations), which helps. It may be the same in Cinci. I'm not sure.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 20 2022, 11:35

Jordan Fiore is correct. The greater Cincinnati area is a hidden gem. The NKY and OH River Cities have incredible potential. I work with an investor who was originally investing in Miami, but has bought 7 investment properties in NKY in the past year. 

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Lingle
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Nov 20 2022, 11:39

@Rachelle Wilson Which neighborhoods of NKY? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 20 2022, 11:55
Quote from @Tyler Lingle:

@Rachelle Wilson Which neighborhoods of NKY? 

The River cities in NKY would be Ludlow, Covington, Newport, Bellevue and Dayton. Check out https://linknky.com/. They cover articles related to new businesses/developments in the NKY River Cities. 

User Stats

Votes
Becca F.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Votes |
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Replied Nov 20 2022, 12:13

@Bret Halsey

I'm a California investor but I won't be buying anymore properties in the San Francisco Bay Area for the foreseeable future (I have 2 properties here). The price points are way too high now for me to get a positive cash flow unless I wait years. It doesn't make sense be in a -$800 a month (at best) while paying a huge monthly payment with high property taxes. The tech companies here are laying people off or not hiring (the six figure earners who can afford the $3000 1 bedroom apartment to $6000 rental house payments) so that doesn't sound good to me financially. And I definitely can't afford to buy a multi-unit building here. 

I'm looking in the Midwest, primarily Indianapolis metro area (I have a SFH rental there), maybe Ohio. My property manager charges 10% management fee (range is 8 to 12% Indianapolis area). He screens the tenants and writes up the lease. If you're local you might be able to manage your own properties. I manage one of my California properties (I know the tenants personally so they're unlikely to cause me problems) but an attorney has to review my lease. I also looked briefly at Utah and Colorado - prices are a bit high but still reasonable compared to California. I think the Midwest is a solid rental market. Good luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Sam McCormack
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Nov 21 2022, 05:08

@Tyler Lingle

Yes, Cincy is landlord friendly

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Noble Jr
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Nov 21 2022, 06:03

Im in Indy....open to connect with anyone interested in the area

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Blankenship
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Nov 22 2022, 12:04

I have been active in both the Cincinnati and Dayton metropolitans for almost TWENTY years!  We have been a hidden gem for quite some time and the secret is not as well kept as it used to be LOL!  

I work with clients from more developed areas of the country all the time that are looking for better ROI without the same bulk of capital the big markets require just to get started. I just sold 4 units to one of my best out-of-state buyers last week. 🙂

User Stats

Votes
Casey Christensen
Pro Member
  • Lehi, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lehi, UT
Replied Nov 22 2022, 15:20

@Bret Halsey I am from Utah, but I own 3 duplexes in Columbus. It is a great market. If you are looking for a good agent I recommend @Remington Lyman and his team. He has been instrumental in my success there. 

User Stats

Votes
Chuck B.
  • Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Nov 23 2022, 08:44

Louisville KY remains a great cash flow market with slow but steady appreciation.

FlipSystem logo
FlipSystem
|
Sponsored
Learn From Our Team. Earn 100% of the Profits. Join our community of 500+ investors! Avg profit per flip: $14k, Avg effort per week: 4hrs

User Stats

Votes
Alvin Roehr
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati
Replied Nov 27 2022, 08:41
Quote from @Jordan Fiore:

I am a little biased but these areas are hidden gems. A lot of growth and developments happening here in Cincinnati. I work with multiple out of state investors that are looking to get started here. I think a lot more people are seeing the potential of branching out from the major cities(New York, LA, etc.) 

I’d have to agree with Jordan, the Cincinnati market has been booming the past few years, great prices for investors, and tons of great locations all over the city! Lots of great multi units also!

User Stats

Votes
Sam McCormack
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Nov 28 2022, 05:04

Haha, I just looked at the subject and it names 4 cities and says "triangle"

User Stats

Votes
Hamid Behdad
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Dec 15 2023, 08:41
Quote from @Bryan Blankenship:

I have been active in both the Cincinnati and Dayton metropolitans for almost TWENTY years!  We have been a hidden gem for quite some time and the secret is not as well kept as it used to be LOL!  

I work with clients from more developed areas of the country all the time that are looking for better ROI without the same bulk of capital the big markets require just to get started. I just sold 4 units to one of my best out-of-state buyers last week. 🙂

can I get in touch with you ? im an investor from Cali looking to invest in OH , clombus , cinci or Dayton. Also open to LV ky if there's anyone interested to get on a call to show me some good deals 

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Dec 16 2023, 09:43
Quote from @Bret Halsey:

Hello all, I just moved to Ohio from Utah and was surprised at how many great real estate markets there are nearby! I've walked a couple properties right near me, but I'm curious if other investors in this region have a preference for one of these markets even if it's not the closest to them and why. I'm planning on getting into a couple flips and BRRR opportunities over the next year and am considering days on market, median sale price, rent potential, and landlord friendliness. Would love to hear the different reasons people have for investing where they do and their experiences.

Welcome to Ohio playa.

User Stats

Votes
Sam McCormack
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Dec 18 2023, 06:36
Quote from @Hamid Behdad:
Quote from @Bryan Blankenship:

can I get in touch with you ? im an investor from Cali looking to invest in OH , clombus , cinci or Dayton. Also open to LV ky if there's anyone interested to get on a call to show me some good deals 

Hey Hamid, i shot you a message

User Stats

Votes
Hamid Behdad
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 30 2024, 18:34
Quote from @Rob Bergeron:

We invest in Louisville and areas near lakes. We are looking to get a STR in Northern Kentucky or Over The Rhine. My sister lives in Columbus, all great markets! Can't go wrong! Happy to show you around if you visit Louisville.

Can I call you to get some help? I want to invest in that area too maybe section 8 them I live in LA CA atm 

User Stats

Votes
Jackie Lambert
Pro Member
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Jan 30 2024, 18:40

My husband and I have 8 rentals in Louisville, and live here. Love it! It really is a great town with all kinds of opportunity. We love Cincy too!

User Stats

Votes
Hamid Behdad
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 30 2024, 19:37

who is your agent if you can refer any good agents in LV area , would be great 

User Stats

Votes
Chuck B.
  • Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Jan 31 2024, 11:19

@Rob Bergeron is a local investor friendly/savvy agent. 

User Stats

Votes
Hamid Behdad
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 31 2024, 11:45
Quote from @Chuck B.:

Thank you Chuck, I’ll give him a call. Also If you guys know any savy agents in Cinci or Dayton lmk 

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Everidge
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jan 31 2024, 16:54

@Hamid Behdad Hey, just sent you a DM. Happy to connect!

User Stats

Votes
Rob Bergeron
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Jan 31 2024, 17:08
Quote from @Chuck B.:

Thanks Chuck! Had a nice talk with Hamid! 

User Stats

Votes
Jackie Lambert
Pro Member
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Feb 3 2024, 17:57

@Hamid Behdad I sent you my realtor’s info. She’s amazing! Definitely reach out to her. Good luck!