Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
George Red
Votes |
Deal Structure Question (% Split between partners)

George Red
Posted Nov 24 2022, 14:37
I've bought 2 duplexes with a friend and formed LLC's with operating agreements etc.. We both put 50% of the downpayment and own the properties 50/50. For these duplexes I found the deal, the real estate agent, the financing, insurance, the lawyer and setup the LLC banking so I feel I did more than 50% of the work. It has not caused an issue because I value the learning I had to do to complete the above mentioned items.

My question is this... on any subsequent purchases where I'm pulling more than 50% of the weight, how much additional percentage (assuming 50/50 downpayment) would the other legwork be worth... 55/45 or how would the legwork typically be reflected in the deal. Thanks in advance, looking to buy more property with other parties and wanting to ensure the work I put in is reflected accurately.

Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Lucas Miles
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fairmont, MN
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fairmont, MN
Replied Nov 27 2022, 06:54

@George Red I think its important to sit down and figure out which items you will do in the future. If your doing all the work and still contributing half of the downpayment money, maybe you would be better off finding a partner who can provide all the downpayment money but does 0% of the work, still split 50/50 or so.

If you continue with your current partner sit down and list out all the items and who is responsible for what items (finding deal, underwriting, downpayment $, financing, setting up everything, managing the rehab, self-managing or managing the PM, etc). Figure out who will do what, then can dive into what the split would be. 

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 27 2022, 08:16

Sounds like you're doing 100% of the work, why do you need your partner? If you want to do it right have him put up all the money and you do all the work split 50/50 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Meyler
  • Attorney
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Dec 16 2022, 13:13

I have to agree with Eliott.  It doesn't sound like your partner is bringing much to the table.  Do you need the partner for the capital?  There are other options that will allow you to keep the equity.  You could even continue to involve the other party by offering to take a loan from them and paying them interest if you really want to include them.

That being said, consider what your time and effort is worth and then negotiate.  I would personally ask for more than 5% (55/45 split) for all of that work, but that's just me.  What is it worth to you?