• Gilroy, CA
Votes |
What to do with excess land?

Jeet Sangha
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Gilroy, CA
Posted Nov 28 2022, 09:30

We recently acquired a home that sits on a 5-acre lot. We can easily rent out the house but don't know what the best use of the land would be. It is zoned A-20 or agriculture medium scale. Upon talking with the county, we can only use the land for ag-related purposes. My question to the BP community is, besides leasing out the land to a farmer or growing crops myself,  what other ag-related business can I operate that would generate income? The property is situated close to the city so it's not in a rural area and it in a close proximity to a major highway, if that helps.

My current thought is to build a warehouse building and lease it out, but I'm not sure what kind of ROI I will get.

Coldwell Banker Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jacob St. Martin
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlottesville VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlottesville VA
Replied Nov 28 2022, 10:21

Hello Jeet, I am not an expert on this topic but I have some thoughts. First, I have seen land zoned agricultural used for a lot of different purposes with a special use permit. For instance there is a gas station that I was looking at buying (but didn't) that was zoned ag but with a special use permit so maybe that is an option for whatever you want to do. Second, if you could make an argument for self storage being related to agriculture this sounds like a great use of the property. My only other thought is that maybe you could put in a couple of glamp sites that might comply with the land usage and generate a lot of additional income for the property. 

User Stats

Votes
Jeet Sangha
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Gilroy, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Gilroy, CA
Replied Nov 30 2022, 19:07

Hey Jacob, unfortunately, this location will not as a glamp site because it is next to other businesses. However, because of your idea, I started doing my research and came across drive-in movie theaters. There are none where I live, and I feel like this can be a niche market again. I still need to look further into it to see if it's even feasible but that's something I'm definitely considering. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Martinez
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Dec 1 2022, 00:34

I had 5 acres on one my properties. I just used to shoot guns on it since there was nothing else around. I know people use it recreationally for hunting, shooting, dirt biking, stuff like that.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Dec 1 2022, 04:05

Try to get it rezoned to a higher use , then decide

User Stats

Votes
Jeet Sangha
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Gilroy, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Gilroy, CA
Replied Dec 1 2022, 06:54
Quote from @Daniel Martinez:

I had 5 acres on one my properties. I just used to shoot guns on it since there was nothing else around. I know people use it recreationally for hunting, shooting, dirt biking, stuff like that.

My property is right next to the city limits so I doubt I can use it ad a shooting range, perhaps as an archery range 🤔