• New to Real Estate
  • Chicago
Votes |
Property Investment hacking

Adrian Martinez
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago
Posted Nov 28 2022, 10:55

So I have been mentioning to my wife how I would like to start investing into trailer homes. Would that be a good investment? 

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Beal
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Spokane, WA
Replied Nov 28 2022, 11:19

I've definitely seen people succeed very well by doing that. What I was told by the investor who was involved in buying trailer homes was that its good for cash flow but not a equity game. Your more likely going to have to put more time into them, but if can make the numbers work and want to deal with everything that goes along with trailer homes then why not.

Beal Estate Northwest Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jay Thomas
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Nov 28 2022, 12:42

It's important to bear in mind that owning trailer homes also comes with its own unique set of challenges. You'll need to keep up with maintenance and repairs as well as tenant relationships if you're renting out your units. Though it does require more work than other forms of real estate investing, those who have done it before often find that the rewards can be quite lucrative. All in all, trailer homes can be a great way to diversify your portfolio and potentially bring in some steady income.

With this knowledge in mind, anyone considering trailer home investing should do their due diligence before committing to anything. Speak with other investors who have experience in the industry and make sure you understand the legal requirements associated with owning and renting out these types of properties. Once you're comfortable, it's possible to reap substantial rewards by investing in trailer homes. With careful planning and hard work, trailer home investments can provide a solid return for those willing to take on the challenge!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Replied Nov 28 2022, 17:29

@Adrian Martinez which area of Chicago are you in? There are just so many 2–4-unit buildings in most neighborhoods... why not focus on the inventory that is here? 

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.166619)

Forte Properties, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Alex Fenske
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Mokena, IL
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Mokena, IL
Replied Nov 29 2022, 03:55

While I have not personally invested in mobile homes, they've been hitting my desk as brokerage deals and I've been surprised to see that months of supply (the ratio between the number of available homes vs. the pace of sales) are far lower than for SFR. Based on that, if I came across a distressed/value-add opportunity in a mobile home, I'd not hesitate to flip it assuming the #s made sense.

I will echo the advice above that the transaction process and ownership considerations are different for a mobile home than for real estate, so I'd strongly recommend searching for a mentor who has experience with them.

User Stats

Votes
Paul De Luca
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 29 2022, 06:36

@Adrian Martinez

It could be a good investment if you know how to identify opportunities and know what you're doing. Find someone that's already invested in that niche and try to learn from them.

• Real Estate Agent Illinois (#475.190985)

eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Nov 30 2022, 04:52

Hey @Adrian Martinez - I believe any investing can be a good investment if you do your research & due diligence.  I am biased, however, and believe real estate is by far the best investment vehicle.

With regard to mobile home parks specifically, I am not a huge fan of the asset class here around Chicago and Illinois in general because of the winters. I know Brandon turner's fund invests heavily in them, but mainly around the sunbelt.  

Nonetheless, someone is making money in every type of investment, but people are also losing.  I struggle suggest you educate, network, and take action in that order, and assuming you continue to grow, measure, and learn you will definitely be successful!

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Smith
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Dec 1 2022, 08:58
Quote from @Adrian Martinez:

So I have been mentioning to my wife how I would like to start investing into trailer homes. Would that be a good investment? 

Trailer homes are a good investment, but it's a cash business unless your plan is to purchase an entire park.  There's little to no institutional financing for individual homes but you may be able to get private financing.

The Smith Group Logo