Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Frank Conigliaro
  • Realtor
  • Lancaster, PA
Votes |
Is this seller financing scenario a Good Deal?

Frank Conigliaro
  • Realtor
  • Lancaster, PA
Posted Jan 9 2023, 15:47

Property details:

Class C property. Sale price $177k. Located in Lancaster City, PA 

Tenant gives me $25k down with 10% interest only payments for two years then he refinances to pay me the remaining balance.

I bought it in 2016 for $86k and put in about $10k. Current rent is $1400/month but property is deteriorating fast and needs minimum $10k put into it. It was my very first property where i made a lot of mistakes but ready to get it off my hands since i now have a solid portfolio of Class B properties.

I have a few reasons I'm getting rid of it so I'd like input on whether that seller financing scenario would be good for me. The tenant has been with me for 5 years and overall a great guy. Properties in this area are sitting on the market for quite a while now so I don't know if it's worth the risk putting it on the market and then getting less than what I could sell to him - not to mention, agent commissions and all that....

Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied Jan 9 2023, 17:36

Do you have any debt on the property?

User Stats

Votes
Frank Conigliaro
  • Realtor
  • Lancaster, PA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Lancaster, PA
Replied Jan 10 2023, 07:41
Quote from @Joe Villeneuve:

Do you have any debt on the property?

No debt. Paid off

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes
Account Closed
  • pennsylvania
Votes |
  • pennsylvania
Replied Jan 10 2023, 08:48

To me, that sounds like a good price. I would give the tenant an option to purchase rather than transfer the title. This will save you from capital gains and make things simpler if he/she is not able to close in two years. You would have control over the insurance coverage, as well—you don’t want the tenant to under-insure or keep an insurance payout and leave you stuck with a building needing major repairs.