• South shore, MA
Votes |
The NOT SO PRETTY moments of real estate

Brian Ellis
  • Rental Property Investor
  • South shore, MA
Posted Feb 6 2023, 05:09

Had an eventful Sunday evening.

New England saw temperatures below 0 for a couple of days. I knew this was going to be fun for my rentals.

I sent out texts and called all my tenants to remind them that it was important to crank the heat a little higher, and leave hot and cold taps drizzling.

Here in New England we have a lot of non-insulated crawl spaces, and that can be a recipe for disaster with extremely cold weather.

So I set out for my day, and made some calls. All tenants said everything was fine, but I had this inclination just to swing by a couple spots to double check. First house, no problems. As im on my way to the second, I realize im cutting a couple appointments close on time. But I convinced myself to check anyway and let a client know I would be a couple minutes behind. I turn the corner to the bulkhead and I hear a sound. It resembled the sound of a furnace firing... except it was a burst pipe spewing out water. I go down the stairs and its an absolute disaster. About 12" of water in the basement, and a furnace that was underwater.

Keep in mind im in some nicer clothes, there is no way for me to get to the water main without getting dirty. So I took off my boots and did what I had to do. Then I carried on to my afternoon appointments, with cobwebs and dirt scattered all over me.

Luckily, my trusted HVAC guy was able to salvage the furnace with some new parts, and the water drained relatively quickly. He repaired a good amount of pipe. He came to the conclusion that the oil line got plugged and the heat shut off completely. The tenant must have taken off for a day or two.

Now my initial reaction was to be upset with the tenant, but what's done is done and the only solution was to fix the problem ASAP and move on. What could have been a $7500 problem, ended up being a $1000 problem. 

As time goes on, these things sting less and less. Because they do happen. And I am prepared for it, although I will admit I was naive when I first started out. What are some of your experiences? 

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Feb 6 2023, 07:36

Rough day. Thanks for sharing.

The bright side is here we are less than 24 hours later and the problem is already solved. I'm impressed you were able to get your HVAC guy out on such short notice to fix the furnace, repair the pipe, and drain out the water. Thats a great contractor.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Ellis
  • South shore, MA
Votes |
  • South shore, MA
Replied Feb 6 2023, 10:41
Quote from @Scott E.:

Rough day. Thanks for sharing.

The bright side is here we are less than 24 hours later and the problem is already solved. I'm impressed you were able to get your HVAC guy out on such short notice to fix the furnace, repair the pipe, and drain out the water. Thats a great contractor.

Indeed. I even went as far as creating a Yelp account to leave a review. He was a savior. Not only saved me the furnace, but also saved me from having to put the tenant in a hotel for a couple of nights. Extremely grateful, and a contractor ill be using from here on out. Sometimes its moments like this that provide you valuable resources.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Kwan
  • Lender
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied Feb 6 2023, 10:48

Thanks for sharing . Yeah i heard the winter storm over the east coast right now is dreadful @Carlos Valencia @Albert Bui

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Carlson
  • Rochester, MN
Votes |
  • Rochester, MN
Replied Feb 7 2023, 05:34

@Brian Ellis

I spent my first year of apartment ownership chasing leaks from the main water lines in the laundry and utility room, kicking out tenants that intimidated other tenants. I had literal nightmares for a while about things that could go wrong. It’s all good now though!…until it isn’t. Hahah

User Stats

Votes
Brian Ellis
  • South shore, MA
Votes |
  • South shore, MA
Replied Feb 7 2023, 19:14
Quote from @Andrew Carlson:

@Brian Ellis

I spent my first year of apartment ownership chasing leaks from the main water lines in the laundry and utility room, kicking out tenants that intimidated other tenants. I had literal nightmares for a while about things that could go wrong. It’s all good now though!…until it isn’t. Hahah

yup! Ive been actively looking for 5+ units now. The single family residence and small multi family dont really appeal to me anymore. Between the minor repairs, and cutting 5 different lawns every week isnt what I envision in 10 years.