Votes
Wynn Williams
Pro Member
Votes |
Off Market Buyer offering to Out-of-Touch Seller

Wynn Williams
Pro Member
Posted Feb 15 2023, 19:26

Howdy! My wife and I are looking to offer on our first investment SFH in the same neighborhood we currently live in. We heard about these folks looking to sell their property. Today, I had an inspection, appraisal and a contractor give me some estimates on repairs. The house is trashed out and needs a lot of work. A little over 1000 square feet, Pier and beam foundation that needs some further examination, old cast iron plumbing will likely need replacement and water damage near/under bathroom tile, substantial rodent damage (2-4" holes eaten through in multiple spots), and a whole lot more including potential roof replacement and an HVAC from 2007.

The sellers have $300,000 in their minds because 6-8 months ago, this was common in this neighborhood, but given the money that will need to be poured into the renovation, there’s no way I can come close to that number if i want to be right side up. How do I approach this conversation without being insulting or help them understand that the market has shifted? Again this is our first investment. Not afraid of the project, but my offer is going to be much lower than what I think they have in mind unfortunately. 

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Feb 15 2023, 21:25

@Wynn Williams you don't approach this............I'd forget about it and just move on. There is no point in spending another minute there, instead spend it looking for deals that can get done. The only thing that is within your control is where do you want to spend your time. All the best!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Feb 16 2023, 03:50

@Wynn Williams

Make the offer explaining why. Then do nothing. You are wasting time trying to convince someone of something you cannot convince them on. Reach back out in 3 months as a hey what’s going on.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Feb 16 2023, 05:53

The same way you approached this post, be honest, tell the the house is a dump and you are going to put a lot of money into it. 

User Stats

Votes
Wynn Williams
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 6 2023, 11:04

They accepted our offer and we are closing at the end of the month. Any recommendations on insurance companies? It is our first investment property. 

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Mar 6 2023, 11:58

Insurance is easy. start with your current agent. Feel free to get back up offers from 1-2 other big companies. 

Wait for the appraisal to come back to see if you got a good deal or it appraises for even less if it’s truly in bad shape. 

Get an inspector and or contractor in there to give you an idea of the costs involved and if there’s any foundation/structural/serious problems. Maybe a roofing company and hvac people. The number of days for inspection contingency should be in the contract. 

Get your contract and EMD to a title company or lawyer depending on your state. If the seller mentions the deal to another buyer who offers more and get to title first they have a deal instead of you.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Wood
  • Developer
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • New Orleans, LA
Replied Mar 6 2023, 12:09

@Wynn Williams You will most likely need builder risk or vacant property insurance.  Given it will be a rental, I doubt you will find a dwelling policy that will cover it during the renovation with it being vacant.

User Stats

Votes
Wynn Williams
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 6 2023, 12:15
Quote from @Bill Brandt:

Insurance is easy. start with your current agent. Feel free to get back up offers from 1-2 other big companies. 

Wait for the appraisal to come back to see if you got a good deal or it appraises for even less if it’s truly in bad shape. 

Get an inspector and or contractor in there to give you an idea of the costs involved and if there’s any foundation/structural/serious problems. Maybe a roofing company and hvac people. The number of days for inspection contingency should be in the contract. 

Get your contract and EMD to a title company or lawyer depending on your state. If the seller mentions the deal to another buyer who offers more and get to title first they have a deal instead of you.

We offered $265,000 and the appraisal is at $300,000 (surprisingly) and we are currently under contract. We close on March 30. We will need to put about $30,000 into the rehab with some big ticket items being plumbing, roofing and electrical and I've already got my contractor lined up for this. Obtaining insurance and setting up utilities are my next steps, so I will be doing that this week. Thank you for the information! 

User Stats

Votes
Wynn Williams
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 6 2023, 12:16

@Mike Wood I'll look into it further. Thanks! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 15 2023, 13:08

Good luck on your investment! Hope all goes well for you!