• New to Real Estate
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Investing in Dayton

Codey Wendel
  • New to Real Estate
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Jul 13 2023, 10:45

Hi all. I'm from Columbus but have been looking into Dayton as a potential location for my first investment property. What are some pros and cons of investing in Dayton? I'm not too familiar with the city so any information is appreciated. Would love to connect with some Dayton investors as well. Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 13 2023, 13:05
Quote from @Codey Wendel:

Hi all. I'm from Columbus but have been looking into Dayton as a potential location for my first investment property. What are some pros and cons of investing in Dayton? I'm not too familiar with the city so any information is appreciated. Would love to connect with some Dayton investors as well. Thanks in advance.

If you are living in Columbus I would recommend buying something you can easily check on. I bought my first duplex and lived it in. Then bought 3 more 4 units within .4 miles of each other. I used to walk to my properties to mow the grass

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Simon Ashbaugh
  • Realtor
Votes |
  • Realtor
Replied Jul 13 2023, 13:07

You live in the one of the best investment markets in the country, why not get a househack 2-4 unit?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Codey Wendel
  • New to Real Estate
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 13 2023, 13:43
Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:

You live in the one of the best investment markets in the country, why not get a househack 2-4 unit?

That would be ideal, I'm just not seeing too many properties in my price range in Columbus. I'm sure if I stay patient and be proactive an opportunity will present itself. Also thought it could be a good idea to learn about different markets in Ohio, possibly for the future. 

User Stats

Votes
Codey Wendel
  • New to Real Estate
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 13 2023, 13:45
Quote from @Remington Lyman:

If you are living in Columbus I would recommend buying something you can easily check on. I bought my first duplex and lived it in. Then bought 3 more 4 units within .4 miles of each other. I used to walk to my properties to mow the grass

Definitely a good point. Would save a ton of time and money. Appreciate your input.

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 13 2023, 14:43
Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:

That would be ideal, I'm just not seeing too many properties in my price range in Columbus. I'm sure if I stay patient and be proactive an opportunity will present itself. Also thought it could be a good idea to learn about different markets in Ohio, possibly for the future. 

You should talk to a lender like @Mike Dissett

You can count the other side towards your DTI

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mike Dissett
Lender
  • Lender
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 13 2023, 17:01

Hi Codey:

I just sent you a message.  Please let me know when you have a couple of minutes to go over your options.  I can definitely answer and questions that you have.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony L Amos Jr
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 14 2023, 05:50

Check out some smaller towns between Dayton and Columbus, like Jeffersonville. Honda has broken ground on the new battery plant out there, and you'll be able to keep an eye on your first investment 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Troidl
  • Realtor
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Jul 19 2023, 05:10

Dayton is a great place to invest. I am a Realtor in Dayton as well as an investor. What questions can I answer?

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
James Wise#1 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Jul 23 2023, 16:08

Dayton's cool if you're looking for low cost rentals. However the crime and fentanyl epidemic is pretty wild out there. Gotta keep that stuff in mind when searching for cheap places to invest. There is usually a reason why certain areas are so cheap compared to others.

User Stats

Votes
Alfath Ahmed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 24 2023, 05:06

Codey, I own both properties in Columbus and Dayton (University of Dayton Campus) where I own a SFH that I BRRRR'ed last summer. Dayton is a cheaper market to invest in. You will experience higher cash-flow but as strong of an appreciation as Columbus.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Troidl
  • Realtor
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Sep 5 2023, 09:56

Hey Codey,
I'm an active investor in Dayton as well as a Realtor so I've got a pretty good pulse on the market and the area. I'm going to shoot you a message so we can connect!

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Masoud
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dayton/Cincinnati/Columbus
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Sep 24 2023, 16:40

Be careful to avoid the D class areas of Dayton. I made that mistake when buying in Dayton from California.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 15 2024, 23:50
Quote from @Matthew Masoud:

Be careful to avoid the D class areas of Dayton. I made that mistake when buying in Dayton from California.

Hi can you tell me what are  D areas I’m looking to invest in zip code 45405 it’s in Montgomery county also can you recommend some good zip code or county to invest in thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 15 2024, 23:56

Hi Kevin what’s your thoughts on in investing in Montgomery county zip code 45405 thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Allen
  • Attorney
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 16 2024, 08:05

The areas around Wright-Patterson AFB are great rentals. You can get military renters and report to their supervisors if they are late on rent. This is a very reliable source of renters.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Masoud
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Feb 25 2024, 14:44
Quote from @Denita Isaac:

Hi can you tell me what are  D areas I’m looking to invest in zip code 45405 it’s in Montgomery county also can you recommend some good zip code or county to invest in thanks 

45405 and 45406 are indeed D class areas.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 27 2024, 07:17

Investing in Dayton, Ohio many advantages and some disadvantages. One of the main advantages of course is affordable real estate prices (according to Redfin, the median home price in Dayton reached $115,000 ). The other great advantage is of course the growing job market, as well as a lower cost of living compared to other cities. Additionally Dayton has a pretty strong rental market, making it a good place for real estate investors to generate rental income.

On the other hand, some disadvantages of investing in Dayton may include economic fluctuations, potential property maintenance issues, and a competitive real estate market. It's important to carefully research and evaluate the local market conditions before making any investment decisions.

My advice in this type of question is to consult with a real estate professional or financial advisor can also help you make informed choices about investing in that particular area.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 28 2024, 07:36

How about 45402 and 45403?    Looking at two rentals there.  Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Masoud
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Feb 28 2024, 11:07
Quote from @Jay Black:

45402 things start to get better. Personally I avoid this area:

There are pockets in here where you can certainly make money but I had some bad experiences all over there.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 28 2024, 11:37
Quote from @Jay Black:

There are pockets in here where you can certainly make money but I had some bad experiences all over there.

Thanks for the info/insight.   The 2 properties are rehabbed and my contact is selling them for 110K each.   

What tools do you use to decide whether a neighbourhood is C or D etc?   Crime sites?   

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Masoud
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Feb 28 2024, 16:49
Quote from @Jay Black:
Quote from @Jay Black:

Thanks for the info/insight.   The 2 properties are rehabbed and my contact is selling them for 110K each.   

What tools do you use to decide whether a neighbourhood is C or D etc?   Crime sites?   

Mostly experience. I used to own there.  Talking with other landlords. Driving through those neighborhoods. ect.