• New to Real Estate
  • NYC
Votes |
Starting Out - Buy and Hold in Fort Worth

Dylan Hattem
  • New to Real Estate
  • NYC
Posted Feb 12 2024, 19:35

Hey Everyone - it's a pleasure to be here. If you take a look at my previous post, I am brand new to real estate investing, although I have had a great career in both the creative and technology industries in NYC.

I'm currently looking to purchase a single or multi family unit as a long term rental, and am exploring 4 markets - DFW being one of them.

After a healthy amount of research, I am ready to dive more into the area, and would love to first connect with realtors who have a lay of the land (no pun intended), or anyone else who has a few minutes to shed some advice on what you're seeing in the area.

Looking forward to connecting.

Dylan

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 12 2024, 19:40

What other markets are you looking into? I don’t know DFW well and mainly focus on Midwest markets (Detroit and Memphis)

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Hattem
  • New to Real Estate
  • NYC
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • NYC
Replied Feb 12 2024, 19:53

Columbus, OH

Savannah, Georgia

Chattanooga, TN

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Stuart Chinworth
  • Realtor
  • Granbury, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Granbury, TX
Replied Feb 13 2024, 10:48

@Dylan Hattem Whenever someone mentions they want to invest in the DFW area, I recommend they take a look at some of the outlying areas first as many people go straight to the heart of the metroplex. From what I have seen some of these outlying areas can provide better cash flow, less competition and less regulations. Let me know if you'd ever like to schedule a call to discuss. 

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Hattem
  • New to Real Estate
  • NYC
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • NYC
Replied Feb 13 2024, 17:42

Appreciate the insight, Stuart. Would love to chat - I'll send you a DM

User Stats

Votes
Mark R.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Texas
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Texas
Replied Feb 13 2024, 19:23
Hey Dylan, I'm in DFW and can chat about the landscape here. Check out my linkedin and shoot me a DM If you want to chat. 

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 14 2024, 15:44

Quote from @Dylan Hattem:

Hey Everyone - it's a pleasure to be here. If you take a look at my previous post, I am brand new to real estate investing, although I have had a great career in both the creative and technology industries in NYC.

I'm currently looking to purchase a single or multi family unit as a long term rental, and am exploring 4 markets - DFW being one of them.

After a healthy amount of research, I am ready to dive more into the area, and would love to first connect with realtors who have a lay of the land (no pun intended), or anyone else who has a few minutes to shed some advice on what you're seeing in the area.

Looking forward to connecting.

Dylan

you can still buy lots for sub 100k and we can put 3-4 units stacked on a .1 acre parcel with density of around 30-40 dwelling units through what's called a council use variance. takes a bit longer than buying but we build with 20% equity typically and target lots based on that price range. I'm in Columbus Ohio we are looking at other markets to facilitate with this but in columbus we build right in the heart of downtown 43203, 43205 which are called the near east districts. I know all the numbers on the stats. 43205 is on average $300 per sq ft and 43203 is about 15% less than that. renderings and floorplan are attached. with new construction you control everything.