• Greensboro, NC
Votes |
Dispelling the myth of positive cash flow in Chapel Hill, NC

David McCormick
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Greensboro, NC
Posted Jun 22 2014, 13:32

Hello all,

I have a son attending the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and another in high school that also wants to go there, so naturally I'd like to set them up in a 2- to 4-plex off-campus. Nothing too unusual, but today I read on the web site of a local prominent property management company:

Dispelling the myth of positive cash flow

Chapel Hill real estate is renowned for its consistent, stable, and relatively generous appreciation. In the decades leading up to the housing slump in 2008, Chapel Hill enjoyed 3-7% appreciation per year. Chapel Hill exhibited its unique resilience during the 2008-2010 market as many of our properties maintained their value. Chapel Hill is not, however, a market where you should expect positive cash flow in year 1 of an investment.

Chapel Hill rarely avails itself of ‘cash flow positive’ investment property. Assuming an investor puts 25% down on a property, a typical breakeven horizon is 5-7 years. Properties that serve the UNC-Chapel Hill student community hold the most potential for cash flow neutral or cash flow positive scenarios. The typical investor in Chapel Hill expects the return on their investment to be realized at the sale of the property (via appreciation), not from a positive cash flow.

Comments?

Loading replies...