What was your biggest fear upon the start of your investing career

5 Replies

Before you got that first deal, or once you had that first deal in your hands, what fears did you have?  How did you overcome them?  

@Patrick Jacques  Great question. The unknown is always the biggest fear.  It's only when realizing you rally are not satisfied with the status quo that you get your big boy pants on and go do it. 

Fear is good. It's helps us take a step back and think before doing something. It can also cause us to be inactive however which is a negative.

So there is a balance on how to use fear in a positive way. There was a poll recently at senior centers where they interviewed a bunch of people for the number one regret in life.

At the top of the list at 85% was that many said they wished they had went for their dreams early in life instead of putting them off or having a fear of failing and never trying.

So I believe in trying and failing rather than wondering WHAT IF the rest of your life. Some friends and family can't relate because they work the 9 to 5 and have given up on their life goals.

I want every second of my life to be fulfilling doing things I want to accomplish in my life.  

This really is a great question!  For me, and that fear is still there as I have not yet overcome it, is am I doing enough to secure the best deal.  I am just starting out and I worry that I am not putting myself in a position that will allow me to maximize the deal.  I know each deal will be different but having nothing to draw from I feel like I'm stuck in the "double Dutch state" trying to have everything line up perfectly before I jump in.

My biggest fear while working on my first deal was not being sure if I had done all my due-diligence and my deal analysis correctly. Thankfully I was able to overcome that easily by posting the deal in the Deal Analysis Forum for critique and advice.

You can see the post I made here: $55k Duplex Deal Analysis

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.