Patrick S.
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
Flooring and Price Points

Patrick S.
  • Lexington, KY
Posted Sep 10 2014, 07:09

Hi everyone

Newbie and rookie.  I rented for years and would always just focus on 401ks and Roth IRAs + the freedom that comes from not owning real estate.  I finally changed my tune this past year and being the bargain hunter I am, I searched for a fixer upper for my first house.  I was aware of the 2 yr tax break so I thought I would fix up a house and try to sell for a profit (hopefully) and roll the proceeds into new real estate ventures. 

Here I am today.  Almost a year into the renovation and dealing with living in a 1/2 way fixed up house.  Not easy.  I am struggling with determining what type of floor I should go with for the main area, kitchen, stairs and hallway.  Thought I would post a question.

House:

Split foyer, 4/3, 2400 sq ft, was a FSBO

House background & current status of reno: bedrooms are carpet, bathrooms are tile, downstairs laundry/mud room & bathroom are kinecto luxury vinyl plank

Purchased for $128,500 and currently have close to $26,000 in but have some expensive stuff left like flooring, kitchen counter, kitchen cabinet redo, deck, new exterior paint...will try to save some money by selling the house through busy bee realty service

Considering for the rest: engineered hardwood or laminate and want it to flow throughout the main area

Neighborhood: older, established.  Some houses have been maintained, some not as much. Good schools.  Good location.  Sales of similar home style that are not 100% updated sell $170-180k range (floors are very mixed---lots of carpet, laminate, engineered hardwood in one, tile), completed updated selling mid-180k range (generally hardwood floor).  Ranches and two stories that have updates sell in mid-180k-200k range.

Given the competition and what I have left to do, what's your suggestion?  I had one realtor I know say laminate would be fine but I don't know what the cost difference would be between engineered and laminate.  If it isn't much, I'd opt for the engineered to advertise the house as having hardwood.  Thanks for your input!

Loading replies...