advice needed

3 Replies

I would like to take a quick moment to thank everyone involved at BP for making this a great place .

I was listening to a podcast and was reminded by Joshua and Brandon not to hesitate to post a question  when you have one regardless of how unworthy you think it is.  

My long term goal and strategy is to aquire rentals. I would like to create enough passive income to be able to do what I love most. ( realestate).

After becoming motivated and after setting high goals for 2014 I've experienced the best year in my realestate investing career .  I've purchased two properties and along the way I have interacted with many homeowners. I have referred 5 properties to a friend who is a real estate broker and I want to achieve more. On top of this, my wife and I have decided to partner together so she is wanting to get her real estate license in order to capitalize in all areas. 

My questions are as follows,

Will my wife being licensed (texas)  affect me being an investor? In other words will this hinder my investing strategies?

When Analyzing a deal, if it does not meet my criteria could I refer it to her as a potential listing ?

How much should we expect to pay our Broker in order to hold her license?

And, the hardest issue that I've been dealing with is 

How do I determine whether to sale A property that could potentially be a good cash flowing rental or a good flip?  What factors should I take into consideration?

I'll try to answer some of your questions:

1)  If your wife gets her realtor license then this will only help you as a real estate investor, especially if you don't have your license.  

2)  sure

3)  I don't know

4)  I personally like the monthly cash flow strategy vs. the large $ you can make from doing flips.  But this depends on your situation and your real estate market.  If doing flips is lucrative, then by all means - do them.  Having hard cash is never a bad thing.  But if you want to replace your 9-5 job with a consistent stream of cash flow, then start buying rental properties.  

thank you for you're response Jay. I feel the same way about you in regards to buy and hold strategy and I hope to be there one day. The main reason I'm considering selling is to fund anotger flip that i have on hold . Once I flip the house i plan on reinvesting . 

Will my wife being licensed (texas) affect me being an investor? In other words will this hinder my investing strategies?

No.

When Analyzing a deal, if it does not meet my criteria could I refer it to her as a potential listing ?

Yes. Why not. She most likely cannot "pay" you a fee persay but your married so your own the same team.

How much should we expect to pay our Broker in order to hold her license?

And, the hardest issue that I've been dealing with is

50-80% is a common commission split range for brokerages around here.

How do I determine whether to sale A property that could potentially be a good cash flowing rental or a good flip? What factors should I take into consideration?

This will likely be ever evolving and changing as your situation changes.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here