Real Estate License Pros and Cons

5 Replies

As a new investor, is what would be the pros and cons to getting my real estate license? I have a couple of advanced degrees and am not really interested in returning to school of any kind.

J lays it out very well in his blog post.

And, it's not so much as having a license, as that really depends on what you do, but goes to the knowledge required in dealing in any aspect of real estate. Regardless of your degrees, you don't know what you don't know and thinking that investor strategies is real estate will be a naïve and uneducated approach.

Don't know your professional path, but I doubt you went from high school to 400 level classes in obtaining your degree, why would you think the RE industry be any different?

License or not, the real issue about spending a couple-three weeks to get a good education, it is needed as expertise in other areas and logic just won't cut it entirely in RE. Attorneys go to RE school after being admitted to the Bar, might be a reason they do.  :)

Thanks everyone. Duly noted. I'll begin my research on the subject.

I might suggest Principles of Real Estate or the texts agents use for exams, self study in those types of materials can go a long way. If you have any question concerning any of the material, post it up and ask, be happy to address it. Such materials will also enlighten you as to the strategies discussed here, it's not rocket science but the second stage won't fire until the first stage has been exhausted. :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.