short sale that has FHA mortgage

3 Replies

I've heard that on a short sale, a bank will accept a certain percentage of their appraised value, which varies depending on several things, including whether the existing mortgage that's in default is FHA.

What's the percentage for a property with an existing FHA mortgage?

How do I find out if it has an FHA mortgage?

What other factors will influence the bank's required %?

Thank you.

btw there is NOTHING short about a short sale

A FHA short sale has a particular process. After the owner gets qualified, the bank will issue an Authorization To Participate which will establish the acceptable price, prior to listing. This is if the person handling the short sale knows what they're doing. Other than looking at the original mortgage, you can't tell if it's FHA, unless the listing agents discloses it, which they should.

This short sale did not have a bank-approved price prior to listing, although the owner / seller had submitted his docs before I made an offer, perhaps prior to listing. It took over four months for the bank to send out an appraiser and give a value for the property. So based on what you're writing, it's not a FHA mortgage.

Is there any rule-of-thumb for what % of the appraised price a bank will accept?  And what is that based on?

Just an update ... spoke with the agent and he says that it is an FHA mortgage that the seller has. So there's a misunderstanding somewhere.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.