Took a leap of faith, need some advice on my next move

1 Reply

I have been on the site for about 9 months now. I had listened to pod casts, read a bunch, and watched some videos. I was in constant sponge mode! I have been interested in real estate for 10+ years and finally found a great resource to learn. However, at Thanksgiving time, I stopped researching and learning because of my 60 hr week job and the holidays. 

I had a great "job" for 13 years. It paid well, benefits were good, and it was safe and secure. I say had because this burning desire for real estate was making me crazy, I could't wait any longer, I needed to make the leap. 

So 2 weeks ago, I jumped off the cliff of safe and secure and decided it is time, time to go for my dream, my passion. I have since signed up for real estate school beginning in March and I have already affiliated myself with a broker. My plan is to become an agent but also invest. I figured the education of real estate school, the people I will meet as an agent, and access to the MLS will be important.

With all that said, I have about $10,000 that I can use to begin my investment/agent business. My credit is not good and obviously I don't have the secure job anymore (Although I will be working 15-20 hrs a week at UPS plus I drive for UBER about 10 hrs a week). I am asking for some advice/suggestions on what I should do next so I don't have to go back to the "job". I know it can be done and I am willing to put in whatever it takes!

Hi Ryan

Like you I did the same exact thing. I had to try it and finally went in with both feet. However, when I did it the timing wasn't exactly good. Having a family and mortgage plus bills like everyone else I got worried and slowly fell off. I eventually went back to work full time with my tail between my legs. I invested a lot of money and in the end learned a lot! The office environment is not for me and I found out the hard way but I had to try it. Im more of a hands on kind of guy. Not trying to deter you at all. If you are in a good area go for it! The sky is the limit. Its hard work and your reputation is everything. I still have my license and can go active at anytime but for now I'm polishing up on my construction skills! If I can answer any questions or help in a way don't hesitate to drop a line! Good luck to you!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here