Took a leap of faith, need some advice on my next move

1 Reply

I have been on the site for about 9 months now. I had listened to pod casts, read a bunch, and watched some videos. I was in constant sponge mode! I have been interested in real estate for 10+ years and finally found a great resource to learn. However, at Thanksgiving time, I stopped researching and learning because of my 60 hr week job and the holidays. 

I had a great "job" for 13 years. It paid well, benefits were good, and it was safe and secure. I say had because this burning desire for real estate was making me crazy, I could't wait any longer, I needed to make the leap. 

So 2 weeks ago, I jumped off the cliff of safe and secure and decided it is time, time to go for my dream, my passion. I have since signed up for real estate school beginning in March and I have already affiliated myself with a broker. My plan is to become an agent but also invest. I figured the education of real estate school, the people I will meet as an agent, and access to the MLS will be important.

With all that said, I have about $10,000 that I can use to begin my investment/agent business. My credit is not good and obviously I don't have the secure job anymore (Although I will be working 15-20 hrs a week at UPS plus I drive for UBER about 10 hrs a week). I am asking for some advice/suggestions on what I should do next so I don't have to go back to the "job". I know it can be done and I am willing to put in whatever it takes!

Hi Ryan

Like you I did the same exact thing. I had to try it and finally went in with both feet. However, when I did it the timing wasn't exactly good. Having a family and mortgage plus bills like everyone else I got worried and slowly fell off. I eventually went back to work full time with my tail between my legs. I invested a lot of money and in the end learned a lot! The office environment is not for me and I found out the hard way but I had to try it. Im more of a hands on kind of guy. Not trying to deter you at all. If you are in a good area go for it! The sky is the limit. Its hard work and your reputation is everything. I still have my license and can go active at anytime but for now I'm polishing up on my construction skills! If I can answer any questions or help in a way don't hesitate to drop a line! Good luck to you!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you