Multifamily Investing in Depressed Areas/Towns/Cities

3 Replies

I wanted to get some thoughts from all of you experienced Multifamily investors out there on my situation.  I live in a suburb North of NYC and with property values and taxes where they are around here, it is very difficult to find cash flow properties within a half hour drive where the numbers will work.  However,  if I go a little further North about 45-50 minutes drive into Orange County, NY, there are a few towns and cities, some somewhat depressed and school districts with bad reputations where I certainly would not move my family to, that have much lower property values, much lower taxes and the numbers work.  I have heard the rule of not buying a property you would not live in yourself but don't want to buy a property that is very far from me either.  Would you have any reservations investing here if the vacancies are quite low?  Any other objections or experiences investing in an area that sounds similar to this?  Thanks in advance.

Hey @Alan S.

I'm from LI and only invest of of state.  That said, the deals I have seen fail are usually the ones in rougher neighborhoods without the proper management in place.  That said, as an owner, it is not always easy to find a deal that hits your yield requirements and meets the "invest in a property where you want to live" requirement.  I have not problem investing in a true C/C+ neighborhood if you have a solid management team in place.

@Josh E.  

Makes perfect sense Josh, thanks!  May I ask where out of state you have invested and been successful?

I started in Cincinnati and my first 20 unit distressed purchase there has likely been the most successful deal % return wise.  I am now purchasing in Northwest Florida.  I'm a big believer that there is opportunity in any market it's just a matter of understanding that market, and the submarkets.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.