Promising baltimore real estate investment for living and renting as well

4 Replies

I am planning on investing 200-300k in a property that I can use as residence and also rent out a room or the whole house if a move in a few years.I was thinking canton,fed hill but the taxes are pretty high not sure if that would be worth paying, secondly i really would like a parking spot.Towson is also another possibility.Condo or townhouse doesn't really matter.But i need atleast a 2bed/2bath.

A little about me; i am a single young professional,starting a job, want to invest with not very high monthly payments but a safe investment.

I would appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks.

Unless you find yourself a house that needs to be rehabbed, canton & fed hill are not areas where you will profit from due to inflated prices. That ship sailed years ago. Look around in zip code 21214. Prices are more reasonable and rent rates are solid. 

hmmm...thanks i didn't think this area was a safe neighborhood to consider for investment.I will look into it.

Secondly what do you think about towson or pikesville

Originally posted by @Kyle Gregg :

Unless you find yourself a house that needs to be rehabbed, canton & fed hill are not areas where you will profit from due to inflated prices. That ship sailed years ago. Look around in zip code 21214. Prices are more reasonable and rent rates are solid. 

Kyle is right on 21214 being a great bang for your buck area. Hamilton has recently had a positive upturn with home prices raising in the past year thanks to the activity of professional flippers. You are now able to purchase a large single-family home in the neighborhood that has been fully renovated for around $200k. This is highly desirable price point for young professionals who desire staying in the city limits but need additional space for a growing family.

Given the trade-offs the neighborhood may not provide the lifestyle many young single professionals desire in terms of easy accessibility to nightlife and the financial district where many of these professionals work during the day.

Balto city can be fun , then you have kids and look at the schools , now you look at private schools and the cost . Then you look at the surrounding counties , lower crime , lower property taxes , better schools, lower car insurance .   There are 3 new young families in my neighborhood in severna park , all left the city for better schools .

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.