Certificate of Occupancy in Chattanooga TN

3 Replies

Hello all... Newbie here in bigger pockets.com. Glad to be here. About to purchase a 1935 single home in Chattanooga TN. It was marketed as move in ready and  renovations and updates were done.  Our closing date at this time is technically extended pending my request for a certificate of occupancy when I found out that there were no work permits of record from the building inspection department. The seller's agent contacted the inspector and we were told that the inspectior will not issue a certificate as it is not needed. If I am to believe that pigs can fly, an inspector, if requested, will do the best of their duty as required by law, to come in, and inspect and certify that the home is safe for the new occupants. It iis hearsay if without a written proof. 

Just wondering if any investors have this kind of situation before. My first investment property in CHA.

Thanks!!!!

Why don't you just get a home inspection? You will have a difficult time getting an inspector to do what your asking.

home inspection is done.  That is for repair but to certify that it is safe for occupancy needs a township inspector. The hone was extensively remodeled and updated all the way through and they have not one permit on record. Tenants can sue the landlord if there is no CO. 

Appreciate your response. 

home inspection is done.  That is for repair but to certify that it is safe for occupancy needs a township inspector. The hone was extensively remodeled and updated all the way through and they have not one permit on record. Tenants can sue the landlord if there is no CO. 

Appreciate your response. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.