Assigning rights in wholesale deal

7 Replies

I'm getting working on getting my first house under contract. I know the process of wholesaling a home ( getting it under contract & finding an end buyer). But I'm having trouble understanding, Do I need a "Sale contract" & an "Assignment Agreement" ? 

If you want to assign the contract, the purchase and sale contract with the seller needs to have an assignment clause in there allowing you the ability to assign it.

Then when you find the end buyer you need to explain that you are assigning the contract and have them sign an agreement to assign.  

Then you will get paid your assignment fee at closing.

If you have enough room in the deal, you can also do a double close instead of an assignment.  You would then have the end buyer sign a purchase and sale contract as you being the seller.

@Ryan Billingsley Thanks for that, I really appreciate it!!

& if you don't mind me asking, what does it mean to double close a deal?

@Jaleen Anderson

Double close is where the title company does a back to back closing.  You would have 2 purchase and sale contracts, one between you and the seller and one between you and the end buyer.  Our title company has the end buyer come in first and will use their funds to fund both closings.  So instead of 1 closing between a seller and buyer, there are two closings between the buyer and wholesaler, and then between the seller and wholesaler.

@Ryan Billingsley

What does it mean if a whole-seller (who happened to be an end buyer) double close on my deal? does this affect my profit?

@Jaleen Anderson

I am not sure I understand your question.  If you sell your property to a wholesaler that double closes with another end buyer.  It will not affect your agreed upon deal.

We have done deals that have double closed 4 times!  The only part that matters for you is the agreed upon price between the seller and you, and the buyer and you.  What the buyer you sell it to does with the property is his business.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here