Vacant land at Tax Sale in Texas

4 Replies

I'm interested in starting to invest in tax sale properties, I've read that you probably will have a hard time selling the property and getting title for properties bought this way. I'm interested in vacant land at this time.  is this accurate for most of the properties that you have to wait 2 years to sell?

@Ashley Pitre

You do not actually have to wait 2 years to sell, but since it will most likely be that long before you can get a clear title policy, you will be very restricted to what buyers will be interested.  The two year period is based on redemption (either 180 days or 2 years from the time the sheriff's deed is registered) and contestability rights (at least 2 years from the date of the sheriff's sale). 

Since a lot of vacant land is on the struck off or re-sale list, you may find what you are looking for where the sheriff's sale and deed dates were some time in the past resulting in a shorter (sometimes even none) period you have to be concerned about. 

@Ashley Pitre Roy nailed it. Title insurance is the hardest thing to deal with on properties for sell, obtained by tax deed. Title companies are afraid of them. The best suggestion you may ever get is do your homework. Not just on properties but on title companies as well. 

Be sure to have your exit strategies in place, because you may get left holding properties for extended periods of time.

can someone help me understand the judgement/cost due?

Let's look at the first one under "sold" 

What would the cost of the property be $57,374 or $1,742 

@Roy Oliphant: can someone help me understand the judgement/cost due?

Let's look at the first one under "sold" 

What would the cost of the property be $57,374 or $1,742 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.