As an Investor what is the Best Seasonal time frame to Purchase

6 Replies

As a newbie, I am wondering what is the best seasonal time to buy and sell a Properties?

The holidays are around the corner and I was wondering if there was a peak season to buy and sell of properties. I kind of figure people get cash strapped for Thanksgiving, Christmas and the New Years, so I thought to ask this question. 

As a newbie I'd like to stay focused on studying terminology's and so on. 

Thank You in advance for your responce.

Peace

You are pretty much on the money there Paul.  The autumn months usually see a slowdown in sales for the reason you cite.  Great time to buy and prepare for a spring sale February-March when things start to heat back up.  May is usually where sales peak.  Indiana weather probably exaggerates these swings here more than in Texas though.  Don't feel constrained though.  Deals happen year-round.

@Paul Gonzales I would say that @Scott DeMichele is correct April starts the             buying/selling season as most school years are coming to an end this should run up to late August early September just before school starts Hope this helps                          

Make it Happen

Steve

Originally posted by @Paul Gonzales :

As a newbie, I am wondering what is the best seasonal time to buy and sell a Properties?

The holidays are around the corner and I was wondering if there was a peak season to buy and sell of properties. I kind of figure people get cash strapped for Thanksgiving, Christmas and the New Years, so I thought to ask this question. 

As a newbie I'd like to stay focused on studying terminology's and so on. 

Thank You in advance for your responce.

Peace

There are issues you can run into in a colder environment when trying to rehab a house in the winter. Also it is harder to find tenants in the winter months. 

From a purely buying and selling perspective, you may find more desperate sellers in the winter since there aren't nearly as many buyers at that time of year.

I would say that the best time to sell is between May and September. The best time to buy is when you find a great deal. So, keep looking to buy year round.

Every market has its seasonality. In SWFl, August and Sept are the slowest months. You want to make your buys when there in the least demand. Each market has its own seasonality. Up North, the dead of winter is probably the best time.

I get some of my best deals around the holidays, people even investors seem to shut down around the holidays or just not care. 

I bought a fantastic bank owned tear down last year when I was on vacation a couple days after Christmas. I guess the other guys in town shut their phones off.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here