Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing
Account Closed
  • Financial Services
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
Reappraise -> HELOC -> finish basement -> rent??

Account Closed
  • Financial Services
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Posted Oct 6 2015, 19:39

Hello Everybody,

I have a question for y'all. I bought my SFR (bungalow style) here in SLC in Aug '14 with 2 bedrooms and one bath and have an entire unfinished basement that if turned into a studio style apt (bath/bed/small kitchen) could be rented out.

Curious to know what suggestions i might hear about the strategy i'm currently actioning and if there is something i'm missing.

- Find an appraiser in SLC, UT; if anyone has a referral i'd love to hear it and are appraisers dime a dozen or does it make sense to get someone a bit more pricey?

- Once house is appraised, hopefully for an amount that will let me get a home equity line of credit, use said HELOC to finish my basement and rent out ASAP

- if i'm not able to get a HELOC for enough $$ then i need to rethink my strategy

- also, finishing my basement i think will be a ~50K job since there is at least 1-2 feet to be dug out before any work can be done to put in a bath/kitchen

Couple things need to go right for this idea to cash flow adequately but i won't know until i try....the big goal or the immediate goal after that is to potentially buy a triplex that i'd occupy and continue to rent out my initial SFR with that other tenant in the basement.

-Chris

Loading replies...