• Honolulu, HAWAII (HI)
Votes |
Out of State or Turn Key Markets Evaluated on a GRAPH

Lane Kawaoka
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Honolulu, HAWAII (HI)
Posted Dec 19 2015, 12:30

What does everyone think of my evaluations of several markets? Disregard the numbers I see all these markets as pretty much the same its just what you are looking for on the appreciation and cashflow sliders.

Indianapolis, Kansas City, Texas (Dallas/Houston), Atlanta, Chicago, Birmingham, Ohio (Columbus), North Carolina (Raleigh), Memphis.

NOTE: Analysis was done with my state of the art software... Microsoft PowerPoint!

User Stats

Votes
Britt Treece
  • Inspector and Investor
  • Cary, NC
Votes |
  • Inspector and Investor
  • Cary, NC
Replied Dec 19 2015, 12:51

I like the idea; everyone will ask, "Where did you get the data?"

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Dawson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker / General Contractor / Property Manager
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker / General Contractor / Property Manager
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Dec 21 2015, 13:06

I like it and I too would want to know where the data came from to support the graph.

Orenda Real Estate Services Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brian Hogsett
  • Shawnee Mission, KS
Votes |
  • Shawnee Mission, KS
Replied Dec 21 2015, 18:56

First, I'm glad to be in the Kansas City market. Secondly, I'd echo inquiries about source data as I'd love to be able to reference it when talking to investors.

Thanks for the post!

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Dec 22 2015, 08:46

@Lane Kawaoka I'd be interested to know the source of the data also and the time period. Is this just a current snapshot or does it reflect long term appreciation rates. Some of these markets are experiencing unusally high appreciation rates that are well above their long term average.  Dallas is one of them.

User Stats

Votes
Lane Kawaoka
Pro Member
  • Honolulu, HAWAII (HI)
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Honolulu, HAWAII (HI)
Replied Dec 22 2015, 22:03

All, the data came from my head. N=1 experiment based of hours of various media/marketing/citydata.com/neighborhoodscout.com

I am flattered that everyone thought its was from some publication... let me know if you think is totally off. Think of it like ESPN's ranking of the NBA's top 100 players, its an open discussion.

User Stats

Votes
Ali Boone
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Venice Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Venice Beach, CA
Replied Dec 23 2015, 22:25

Hey Lane....you share a love of my favorite tool...PowerPoint! :)

Since the data only came from your head....I have to say that the data in my head would counter some of your rankings. But, I've tried convincing people of things in my head in the past and it never works. So unfortunately I have to say you might need stronger stats to defend you rankings. :(

User Stats

Votes
Sam Smith
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Dec 28 2015, 17:44

This is a great overview.  Thanks   What markets are you in?  Based on you graph Atlanta and KC are the best of both worlds.   I would like to invest out of state but I hesitant given all the advice against it especially on BP.  Have people been successful?  What are the reasons for your success?

Account Closed
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Dec 29 2015, 10:58

@Sam Smith The negative opinions of investing out of state are probably from people who didn't do their homework thoroughly enough and unfortunately partnered with the wrong people.  You can invest right behind your own house and lose if you don't do the proper research.   I lived in California and closed 22 deals in Atlanta without ever setting foot.  Now I live in Atlanta and closing more than ever.  There's more Californians investing in Atlanta and Texas for obvious reasons.  It's all about you who know my friend. 

User Stats

Votes
Lane Kawaoka
Pro Member
  • Honolulu, HAWAII (HI)
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Honolulu, HAWAII (HI)
Replied Apr 13 2016, 13:18

@Account Closed @Sam Smith

It amazes me meeting folks who are pretty experienced although unsophisticated landlords not being on BiggerPockets. I don't know where I heard this statistic but the vast majorty of SFH rentals are owned by those who just have <2 properties (unsophisticated in a respectful sense). That said it is safe to say that a lot of people who purchase in their backyard or out of state are not using the best practices for due diligence or working with preferred parties.