Loan for Repairs if buying as an Investor ?

3 Replies

Good Evening BP community,

Just had a simple question , which is .....  Is there a way to add X amount of dollars to a Conventional Loan, if you are buying a property as an Investor ?

So if I am wishing to purchase a property as an Investor and put 20% down, but the house is in need of some repairs / upgrades ..... Can you add to the Loan a certain amount for the Repairs/upgrades

OR

Do you have to pay for any and all repairs out of your own pocket ?

Thanks so much

Yes, you can get a reno loan as an investor. There aren't a lot of people that are familiar with this type of loan, so I would recommend finding a mortgage broker that has experience with it. 

I financed my rental house with a reno loan, 25% down. It was a pain (it took 4 months to close), but it was the only way to make the numbers work.

Hi Brianna H.,

Thank you for your reply

So the loan you are talking about is called a " Reno Loan " , simple as that ?  :)

I noticed you said that you had to put 25% down vs the standard 20% .

Is this one of the stipulations with using a Reno loan .... the extra 5% that you have to put down ?

And can you use this type of Loan on all property listings ( those found on HUD and HomePath ) ?

Is there a Maximum and or minimum amount associated with using a Reno loan ?

hanks again, I really appreciate your help

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you