New Real Estate Agent trying to learn the industry from Investors

2 Replies

Hello everyone within the Bigger Pockets Community,

My name is Robert Chaiton, I am here on bigger pockets because I have a passion for real estate investing and am willing to listen and learn from anyone in the industry willing to offer me some help. I am a person who is driven by competition (I was a college baseball player until I hurt my arm two years ago) and as I keep doing more and more research about real estate investing I can tell this is the industry I needed to learn as much as I could about.

A little about my background, I am 22 and graduated this spring from Worcester State University in Massachusetts with a degree in Finance, I will be attending Lynn University in Boca Raton Florida for 1 year to obtain my MBA in Entrepreneurial Management and Financial Valuation degree. In addition, I am a registered real estate agent within the state of Massachusetts and currently work for EMC.

I spent this past year finishing my undergraduate finance degree while studying to pass the real estate sales persons exam in Massachusetts. I thought that if I pass the real estate exam, I would then know everything there was to know about the industry. Clearly, from listening to the podcasts and reading numerous posts there is only so much a classroom can teach you. I know I need to gain some experience from a seasoned professional in the field and would relish the opportunity to help a real estate investor any way possible in order to gain some hands on experience within the industry.

Although I am inexperienced within the field of real estate, I would love the opportunity to work with real estate investors and bring my Microsoft excel skills, financial background, and real estate license to help investors make more informed investment decisions.

I invite any possible chance to work with or just talk to and pick the brain of any investors so I can learn more about how this industry works.

Thanks for reading,

Bobby Chaiton

Good Evening Bobby,

Congratulations on your BA and passing your real estate exam. I just wanted to offer you an amazing tip i've received from a few sources including BP podcasts THAT I ACTUALLY PUT IN USE TODAY! It worked just a couple of hours after putting it into action.

I have been in contact with a local broker for a few months as I have been going to her to help find me my first deal. Since I have developed a rapport with her I decided to just (randomly) email her today asking her if she or anyone in her firm needs any help on a volunteer basis. I offered to help out with any open houses, documentation preparation, sit-in on some meetings, help with tenant screening, and help out any investors that the firm currently does deals with. Within a couple of hours she responded asking me to meet her for an interview this weekend.

I am in the midst of my pre-licensure course to become an agent here in NY and figured I could volunteer a few hours of my spare time to get some hands-on experience while simultaneously helping out at the brokerage.

I am sure that with your credentials, you can get a volunteer position and possibly a part-time position just by reaching out to some local agents or brokers. You can start by contacting any agents or brokers who you've already had some kind of contact with in the past. This might be the best route for you since you'll have your hands full next year with school.

P.S.- mentioning to the broker what your goals in real estate are can't hurt either!

I hope this information was helpful.

Good Luck, 

Abel Curiel

@Robert Chaiton

Welcome take a good look at student housing see below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com There is the Waltham Blacck Diamond near you I go to the Rockland meeting.

Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good Luck

Paul

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you