Votes
Angela DeBorja
  • Towson, MD
Votes |
Best crime data websites, Neighborhood research Baltimore

Angela DeBorja
  • Towson, MD
Posted Jan 18 2017, 20:45

I like how Trulia has a color map for crimes around your target property, but I would like to get more info than it provides. 

Does anyone have recommendations for websites following crime in specific neighborhoods of a city? Below are a few of the ones I have come across and have yet to peruse: 

spotcrime.com

neighborhoodscout.com

crimereports.com 

Of course, nothing compares to driving the neighborhoods and getting a feel for the streets of Baltimore neighborhoods. 

LiveBaltimore.com also seems to be a great wealth of knowledge to learn about various neighborhoods. 

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Jan 18 2017, 20:50

One thing to always keep in mind with data collection is how to interpret the data.  I dont follow crime in Baltimore...but sometimes when looking at crime maps in DC and Montgomery County you will see some areas that seem to be backwards from what is expected, a lot of crime in a safe area and low crime in what you think is a more crime ridden area.  Your instincts on this actually tend to be correct while the data is wrong if you can understand why. Go to a place like Bethesda..very low crime...but residents there will report every last thing, while in a relatively higher crime area, take like Petworth in DC and people wont even bother to report a shooting. So the collected data doesnt necessarily match reality.

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jan 19 2017, 03:50

Russell Brazil
Those are some great points and insights. Never thought of it that way

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Alex T.
  • Oxon Hill, MD
Votes |
  • Oxon Hill, MD
Replied Jan 24 2017, 05:53

great response @Russell Brazil

Hey Angela! Those seem to be the better sites for current data and maps. Spotcrime can give you email updates at weekly or daily frequency I believe.

Id also add, but I have not verified accuracy of the following:

http://data.baltimoresun.com/news/police/homicides...

Although I haven't analyzed the accuracy of Baltimoresun.com Baltimroe city homicide map with Livebaltimore.com map, which I believe is done in junction with the city of Baltimore, it loads well and has the info in straightforward manner.

http://data.baltimoresun.com/crime/baltimore-count...  

Apparently the Sun's Baltimore county map is under maintenance, but hopefully will be back soon.

https://data.princegeorgescountymd.gov/Public-Safe... I like this one for the area, and works well on my pc.

https://data.baltimorecity.gov/Crime/crime-map/u2b... (Sometimes buggy for my browser, but you may have better luck.)

http://www.city-data.com/ (Honorable mention for all kinds of maps and not just crime specific.)

I find that some of the official county and city sources are not as user friendly or current, but still good for historical data. But if you look hard enough you get a surprise like PG county police have maps with lots of filters and tools (maps at bottom of page @ pgc.gov/crimemaps )

I think quite a few area police departments have twitter and facebook feeds. Sometimes reading those can give an idea of where the current trend of incidences resides intra-year, which maps cannot do as well.

User Stats

Votes
Sam Frank
  • Contractor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Mar 13 2017, 08:28

Any updates on these websites and using them effectively @Angela DeBorja ?

I would like to start looking at West Baltimore neighborhoods, and develop a decent way of figuring out how to evaluate these areas.

One thing I have noticed personally, is that if you drive down a block when school lets out in the afternoon and things seem quiet and secluded - not a lot of foot traffic, this is good. Also if most of the houses on a block are well kept - that usually means there is lots of homeownership in the neighborhood - which means people have invested in being there and keeping the trajectory of the block going in a positive direction.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Mar 13 2017, 18:16

As much as the cops know, the cops also don't know. Many a shooting, robbery, assault, sometimes murder go unreported. My vacant rentals have been broken into and i have only called the cops when an insurance claim happens.

User Stats

Votes
Angela DeBorja
  • Towson, MD
Votes |
  • Towson, MD
Replied Mar 13 2017, 20:40

Thank you for your great point @Russell regarding the data not reflecting the true status. There have been a few times where when driving streets, the feel doesn't match what you see on the Trulia map. I think this underlines the importance of driving the  blocks, at least until you have a network of more experienced investors that can at least give you some guidance and input on the area/section of that street. I keep a Google spreadsheet. I have gone by what may be listed for sale, then go and drive those areas, take notes in Google sheets to remember which blocks are decent. Thank you @Alex T for the additional info. @Sam Frank, I have no updates on these sites. One thing I have heard is to drive the area at different times of day to get a feel. Ie. Drive a Friday early evening, midday, etc. My work schedule has prevented me from doing this,but if you have a job where you drive to different worksites, it could be more practical. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Joe Norman
  • Investor, Realtor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Investor, Realtor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Mar 14 2017, 02:13

I second what several people have said, which is that the crime data/crime maps are not the end-all be-all for determining how "safe" an area is.  Its important that you feel comfortable anywhere you are going to invest, but ultimately what matters to me is what do tenants think?  I like to take the approach that the quality of schools, safety, public amenities, etc are all generally priced into the rent rates (assuming a fair and open market w/o a lot of public housing).