Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Maggie Wray
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Data proves REITs are better than buying real estate?

Maggie Wray
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Jul 22 2017, 21:13

This recent article in Forbes argues that Data proves REITs are better than buying real estate: https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcprosser/2017/07/1...

I've been following Bigger Pockets and planning to buy my first rental property sometime this year...but this article made me wonder if I should be rethinking that decision, and investing in REITs instead!

So, I'd love to hear what Bigger Pockets members with more firsthand experience with real estate think about this article.

1. Are they right about this? Do you think the arguments in this article are valid, and REIT's really are a statistically better than buying real estate directly?
  2. OR are there other counter-arguments this article was ignoring, that make purchasing real estate directly a better investment after all?

User Stats

Votes
Adam M.
  • Lawrence, KS
Votes |
  • Lawrence, KS
Replied Jul 24 2017, 10:47

@David Faulkner thanks for the clarity.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Nelson
  • Investor
  • Oak Park, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Oak Park, IL
Replied Jul 24 2017, 11:12

There are a few books available on REITs.  My favorite is The Complete Guide to Investing in REITS by Mark Gordon.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Matt R.
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Votes |
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Replied Jul 24 2017, 11:16

Reits are by far better for passive investors than the BP turnkey variety. Or have been much better for over 10 years in a row let's say. You have control of which Reit you pick and is the reply for those who claim you have no control. And who really wants control of a random sfr in some random city anyways. 

User Stats

Votes
Dovid Staples
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chandler, AZ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chandler, AZ
Replied Jul 24 2017, 12:26

Sound very relative to me. If your plan is to do nothing, have someone else manage everything, and still have low risk then you're probobly going to fair better with a REIT than trying that strategy on actual real estate.

User Stats

Votes
Simon Ruiz
  • Glendora, CA
Votes |
  • Glendora, CA
Replied Jul 24 2017, 16:15

@Matt R. I would really like to hear from A pro Turnkey person about this...  I myself have been contemplating purchasing a turnkey property of sorts but it seems its not really worth the trouble.. It also seems a majority of people that live in hi priced markets like Los Angeles and New York  use the turnkey model out of state to add real estate to there portfolio.     

User Stats

Votes
Simon Ruiz
  • Glendora, CA
Votes |
  • Glendora, CA
Replied Jul 24 2017, 16:57

@Adam M. What's you opinion on using a 401k loan to buy up more REITS ?? In my market ( Los Angeles County and Inland Empire) A lot of people use them as down payments to purchase there primary residences...   

User Stats

Votes
Matt R.
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Votes |
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Replied Jul 24 2017, 17:51
Originally posted by @Simon Ruiz:

@Matt R. I would really like to hear from A pro Turnkey person about this...  I myself have been contemplating purchasing a turnkey property of sorts but it seems its not really worth the trouble.. It also seems a majority of people that live in hi priced markets like Los Angeles and New York  use the turnkey model out of state to add real estate to there portfolio.     

You may hear from a few tk promoters or sellers or novice investors but there is the problemo in that. Either not going to know the basic investment math or have bias. Think about this...how can one compare a randomly located sfh rental to the much more specialized commercial properties and how can random retail priced sfrs that someone else (real investor in the TK tranaction) fixed up for their profit now have more passive returns than a commercial property that is 100% designed for passive investor returns?  Which one is actually passive and which one has the most likelihood for higher returns? Which one can attract and keep professional management? Which one is liquid? There is much more but that is a good start. 

Good luck with your search!

User Stats

Votes
Adam M.
  • Lawrence, KS
Votes |
  • Lawrence, KS
Replied Jul 24 2017, 17:55

@Simon Ruiz DM me. Don't want to thread to get off topic

User Stats

Votes
David Faulkner
  • Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Jul 24 2017, 18:07
Originally posted by @Simon Ruiz:

@David Faulkner Would tax write offs help offset returns between A REIT and a Passive investment property such as a turn key??

There are ways to defeat or at least beat back the tax man in either case ... I've already alluded to some. Since you have more control over the capital structuring with individual RE investments, I'd say you likely have more "levers to pull" to optimize for taxes, but that presumes that you (and/or your CPA) still knows which levers to pull, when, and how ... which gets us back to that whole active vs passive investment thing. Taxes are a consideration no doubt, but I'm careful to never let them drive my investment decisions ... risk adjusted returns come first, then how to legally shelter those returns from Uncle Sam comes after. Never let the tax tail wag the investment dog.  

User Stats

Votes
David Song
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Redwood City, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Redwood City, CA
Replied Jul 26 2017, 07:27

REIT investing is basically like invest money as a lender, whereas REI by yourself is like a borrower. Completely different thing.

For example, as a REI, you buy a property for $400k, with $80k downplay, $320k loan from lender. Rent covers moregage and PITI, with a few hundred dollars positive cash flow.

In 10 years, the property value increase to $800k. Your equity increased from $80k to $480k.

That is a 600% increase on your investment in 10 years, not considering cash flow income.

Furthermore, you can refinance 70%, i.e., $560k out. With zero money in the property, you raise the rent to market and still cover the mortgage and PITI. Wait for another 10 years, that will be profit with no upfront investment.

That return is way way higher than REIT investment.

When inflation starts to increase, you want to borrow as much money as possible with fixed rate as REI investor. Let the inflation raise the property value and rent, and force the borrowed money to lose its value.

For REIT investor, you are actually acting as the lender. Playing on the other side of the game.