Hurricane Harvey and Irma's impact

2 Replies

Hi guys, newbie here. My investment plan was to buy my first property in Orlando Florida to house hack for more capital. With the recent hurricanes affecting both Texas and Florida I was wondering what the smartest move would be for my investment plan. I am sincerely sorry for all the hard situations people are going through right now, and would like to know if it would be smarter to invest elsewhere? Should I now be looking for the damaged properties to flip? Should I continued as planned? As insensitive as it sounds what is going to give me the highest return from the current situations?

Joseph,

Regarding the Florida properties, no damages properties here to get. We mostly had trees down, screens out, fences down, shingles off, etc....can't speak for Houston, but t I'm sure there is more water logged properties there, could be more "deals " to be had there

Unfortunately, I can't speak for Houston, but Orlando handled it pretty well. Like Kim said, trees down (some did go through a roof or window), power was out for some time, and shingles were lost. Fortunately, homeowners insurance covers (with a deductible) most if you make sure you do your due diligence.

I had shingles removed from one of my SFHs through last years hurricanes and I paid my deductible for a brand new roof (60% off a new roof) so in some ways it can play to your advantage.

Stick to your investing plan, buy great deals, and stay smart. I think Orlando would be a great market to start up.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you