Denying rental application

1 Reply

Hello BP, my name is Brian and this is my first post!  My fiancee and I have a rental and are looking for new tenants.  I am curious on how people are declining tenants.  I have gotten a lot of people with criminal records, bankruptcy's etc.  When I have been declining them I have been giving them a denial letter that I have found online.  I know that I cannot decline based on gender, age, etc.  Are there any extra steps that anyone takes to make sure that the applicant cannot come after me for denial?  Thanks for your help.

@Brian Bonnie ,

In general, the vaguer the better with denial letters.  I would simply say "Thank you for applying, but we can not approve you as the owner doesn't allow anyone with a felony."       Not to sound harsh, but if they have a felony or multiple evictions, they are likely used to getting denied because that's pretty basic criteria.    Always be kind and civil,  but do not give a lot of details, IMO it's unneeded.    You won't be working with them, this isn't a negotiation, so just clear and simple they don't meet the requirements and that's that.  

Make sure it's clear and obvious in your add and also your emails what your criteria is, you don't want to waste their time or yours.   

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here