Partnerships- The good and the bad

3 Replies

My friend and I are considering forming a partnership to begin buying MFH buy and hold.

He has the cash and I have the credit (He isn't bankable, he just finished grad school and is looking for a job. The cash is from an inheritance). Most likely the MFH would be under my name with a legal partnership agreement put in place stating that he is entitled to 50% of everything in the property including the debt.

Without this partnership I would have to wait at least another year or so to make a purchase. 

So my question is to all of those who have invested in RE with a partner, what is the good and the bad of a partnership? Anything I should consider? 

Originally posted by @Rigo V. :

My friend and I are considering forming a partnership to begin buying MFH buy and hold.

He has the cash and I have the credit (He isn't bankable, he just finished grad school and is looking for a job. The cash is from an inheritance). Most likely the MFH would be under my name with a legal partnership agreement put in place stating that he is entitled to 50% of everything in the property including the debt.

Without this partnership I would have to wait at least another year or so to make a purchase. 

So my question is to all of those who have invested in RE with a partner, what is the good and the bad of a partnership? Anything I should consider? 

I always recommend that people figure out what they would do in regards to the four "Ds" of partnerships before getting involved in one.

Death - What happens if one of you dies while the partnership is still active? Are spouses involved?

Divorce - What happens if one of you gets divorced? Does that mean the ex spouse now gets 50% and you have to deal with both of them? 

Disinterest - Fast forward 5 years. What if one of you is no longer interested in real estate? What happens?

Drugs- What happens if one of you becomes an addict. What happens to the partnership?

@Filipe Pereira Thanks for your response. I will absolutely sit down with him and go over these scenarios. 

My biggest angst is not getting started BUT I also want to make sure I get started without putting myself in a position I will regret down the road. 

@Rigo V. We have been doing this for over 20 years, and everyone of our projects has been in a partnership. Partnership is a great way to expand in areas which you wouldn't normally be able to. A friend who runs a nationwide real estate organization was asked why he partners on deals when he has the means to do them himself. His response, "Because I can do more deals by partnering." Partnering is often associated with cash, but that is not always the case. We are currently partnering with a $7.0b company to manage our self storage facilities. Why, they can manage it better than us. We can build it, they can manage it. Its a win win. That is the key, is to create a win win scenario for both parties. To that end, I would suggest putting the building into a LLC rather than your name. Right off the bat, knowing or unknowing, you have created a imbalance in the partnership (guarantees, title, etc). Work out the terms within the LLC. Banks will accept the LLC.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here