FHA Loan but never moved in, what happens?

3 Replies

I was asked this question today and I didn't have an answer so I wanted to reach out on BP and ask here. What would happen if you buy a home using traditional, FHA, or VA financing but decided not to move in after closing on the property? I know these loan products often require the property to be owner occupied within a certain time period, but what will happen if the owner never moves in and decided to rent it out instead? Are there any penalties involved?

I know when I got my first home with a VA loan, I just had to have "the intent to occupy" the home at closing, but it was just a formality, not an actual regulation.

Mortgage fraud penalties I believe go up to 30 years in prison and a fine up to $1 million.

@Russell Brazil , thanks for the quick reply! I should've provided more context to the question. My coworker recently bought a home and shortly after got PCS orders to Colorado. What will be the outcome of this? I assume since he has official military orders, he should be protected, correct? 

@Navid A. Yeah he is fine.  Following PCS orders is not mortgage fraud :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here