Hiring Unlicensed contractor to perform some work

2 Replies

Hi,

We need to do start project and we will be hiring Licensed Contractor but we would like to some work done by Unlicensed Contractors( Handyman).

Do I need to take Workers Comp insurance ?  What kind of insurance we would need to protect us ?

Second question is when payment is made to contractor, we just need to issue them 1099 in the end and have all receipts of payment , do we need to care about payroll tax or any other tax.

We have used unlicensed contractors for various jobs.  I think you need to be aware of the risks you take on when you hire someone without workers comp insurance, if you hire someone who falls off a roof and is paralyzed while on your job site, you may have significant liability.

We issue 1099's to our independent contractors and W-2's to employees.

Thanks Brendon
Can we as owner take workers comp insurance for Indepdent workers ( We don't employ them full time) ? If so, any rough idea how much does it costs ?

Originally posted by @Brendon Woirhaye :

We have used unlicensed contractors for various jobs.  I think you need to be aware of the risks you take on when you hire someone without workers comp insurance, if you hire someone who falls off a roof and is paralyzed while on your job site, you may have significant liability.

We issue 1099's to our independent contractors and W-2's to employees.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.