Hiring Unlicensed contractor to perform some work

2 Replies

Hi,

We need to do start project and we will be hiring Licensed Contractor but we would like to some work done by Unlicensed Contractors( Handyman).

Do I need to take Workers Comp insurance ?  What kind of insurance we would need to protect us ?

Second question is when payment is made to contractor, we just need to issue them 1099 in the end and have all receipts of payment , do we need to care about payroll tax or any other tax.

We have used unlicensed contractors for various jobs.  I think you need to be aware of the risks you take on when you hire someone without workers comp insurance, if you hire someone who falls off a roof and is paralyzed while on your job site, you may have significant liability.

We issue 1099's to our independent contractors and W-2's to employees.

Thanks Brendon
Can we as owner take workers comp insurance for Indepdent workers ( We don't employ them full time) ? If so, any rough idea how much does it costs ?

Originally posted by @Brendon Woirhaye :

We have used unlicensed contractors for various jobs.  I think you need to be aware of the risks you take on when you hire someone without workers comp insurance, if you hire someone who falls off a roof and is paralyzed while on your job site, you may have significant liability.

We issue 1099's to our independent contractors and W-2's to employees.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here