State income tax property in non income tax state LLC

3 Replies

I currently have an LLC in TN. The 2 properties currently in this LLC are both in TN. TN has no state income tax. I was considering adding a property that is in Georgia into this LLC. Georgia has a state income tax. I have found conflicting info, that doing this could cause me to have to pay state income taxes on the entire LLC income. Are there any other negatives that I might not be considering? Can someone clarify this for me? If this is the case I will not be adding this property into this LLC. Thanks in advance.

I've got a similar situation (live in WA, buying property in GA).  I'm also not completely clear on out of state tax implications.

@John Parshall @Steve French

Doing business across multiple states within 1 entity requires you to apportion the income among the states. Each state has different rules on apportionment. Apportionment factors factor in Sales(rental income), Property(Building & land) and Payroll.

John in your case - You will need to research how Georgia requires you to apportion the income. Georgia shouldn't tax 100% of the income.

John - one thing you may want to look into is that even though Tennessee does not have a state income tax - they do have a franchise/gross receipts tax that you may be subject to.

One other thing to factor in is that your LLC will need to register with the Secretary of State as a foreign LLC in the new state that you do business in.

Basit Siddiqi, CPA
917-280-8544

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.