Investing in Real Estate Before Grad School in Another City

4 Replies

All – my name is Joey Gross and I am considering purchasing my first buy-and-hold property in the Chicago area in the next year. However, I am only a few years out of undergrad and I am considering getting an MBA in the next 2-3 years. I am going to look at programs all over the country – it’s possible that I may end up somewhere like Philadelphia or Boston to continue my education.

Does anyone have experience with owning property / being a landlord for a duplex/triplex in one city when you are living (as a student) in another city? A real estate investment can generate cash flows that can be applied to my tuition, but I am also nervous about owning a property (w/o a property manager) and residing hundreds of miles away from my investment.

Thanks in advance – any guidance is much appreciated. 

Trying to self manage from a distance will be a challenge.  Who will show the property when it is vacant? That alone could cost you round-trip airfare to fill a unit and could easily happen at very inconvenient times because Murphy's Law.

@Joseph Gross Great idea! A lot to consider though...qualifying for a loan with little to no employment will be difficult especially if this is an out-of-state investment property. Of  course there are ways around this but just worth stating that conventional lending could be a problem.

An MBA will increase your debts and will further hurt you when speaking to said lender (possibly even worse if current student loans are bad).

Down-payment will be tough, but that's just based on my assumption that you're a typical broke college kid like I was lol

Lots of barriers to this type of investment at a young age but not a bad idea at all...have you thought about house hacking in the city you will attend grad school?

@Steve DellaPelle and @Aaron Klatt thanks for your help.  I understand that there are a handful of obstacles if I decide to pursue purchasing an investment property with grad school in the future.  I am currently employed full-time and have enough cash on-hand to afford a down payment now.  My biggest concern is the management of the property - I could hire a property manager, but that would diminish the cash flows & returns that I am trying to earn towards my MBA tuition cost.

Ultimately, I need to determine if my current cash should be applied towards an MBA program (so I can exit with little to no debt), OR if that cash should be used to purchase a property that can generate cash flows to cover most of my MBA expenses.  Worst case scenario, I wait a few more years and invest in real estate once I have completed my MBA program.  

@Joseph Gross in that case compare the ROI on an average investment property to the interest rate on your student loans. If the loans are higher that is probably a better application of cash a penny saved is a penny earned. But if the ROI on an investment property is much higher, that may be the way to go.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here