RUBS in Texas (15 unit complex)

3 Replies

Does anyone have any experience or advice on using RUBS in Texas for a 15 unit complex? I looked into separating meters and was quoted 15k. I think that’s a little over priced and maybe my plumber doesn’t want the job. But if he’s close it puts us at 4-5 years break even. 

Thanks in advance,

Shea

RUBS is a kind of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of situation.

The typical RUBS contract bills each tenant based on the square foot of their apartment. But what if one apartment has one tenant and another apartment has three tenants living there?

I had one client looking into RUBS and it was so complicated that he decided to eat the cost of water/sewer himself.

thanks @Fred Heller I put in a couple requests with a company called Relms in Utah and Guardian in Dallas. Guardian looks like they help with RUBS or sub-metering so hopefully they’ll get back to me the beginning of the week. Water, gas, and a few units we have electric run us about 1k per month except during the winter. Our gas alone this month was $1200 ($900 increase). Last month was $750 for gas. It may be wise for us to pay to separate the gas and pass it during a summer month. Plus, our rents are a little below market. Hopefully, our tenants see that if we don’t raise rents, but have them responsible for they’re own usage. Thanks again. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you