Ready to buy second deal but need advice

4 Replies

Following up on my last post here. In the spirit of brevity, I'll bullet poi nt my current situtation:

-House hacking a 3-flat in Chicago; the rents pay the mortgage and I profit 40 dollars a month

-If I move out, the building will cash flow about $1000 per month

-Purchased using FHA financing 3 years ago

-Refinanced out of PMI a year ago

-A year ago, the house appraised for 60k over what I paid for it

-Have about 70k in equity now

-Planning on holding onto this property for the cash flow

I want to use FHA financing for my next deal, which I will move into and hack similar to my situation now. Should I use the equity I have in this place and borrow against it to get the down payment on the next property? What are the pitfalls involved in that strategy if any?

Is there a better strategy I'm not considering?    

Any questions that will help clarify my situation please ask. 

@Ryan Chorbagian If you are currently living in the property as your primary @Michael Barbari can do a 90% LTV HELOC. Once it is not your primary the max HELOC I have seen is 80% LTV.

Everything else sounds like a solid plan 

Thanks Brie.

I am currently living in the property. Thanks for the info. I've reached out to Michael. 

Get the HELOC as suggested for the maximum. No point in having your money sitting in dead equity and a HELOC is a excellent revolving investment fund.

Sorry to complicate things here guys, but some more to consider before you pull out that HELOC. Sounds like you refinanced out of FHA into conventional and ditched PMI. Well done. To be able to use FHA financing again, you will need to show that you have 25% equity in the property now that you're exiting. You'll also need to have a lease executed with security deposit collected (filling the unit you're leaving) to get the loan approval for the new purchase. If you get the HELOC, sounds like this gets in the way of that plan. Depending on your credit, income, and debt ratios, you might instead look at an unsecured line of credit. Feel free to PM me and I can help you better gauge. If I'm missing something here, let me know!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.