Investing in faith based or recovery house?

1 Reply

I was curious if anyone has experience investing in a recovery or safe house( Oxford House, Half way house, prison release etc)? I have many relationships with people that need help with a fresh start in recovery, prison release and abusive relationships. I know this is not a new concept and don’t want to reinvent the wheel. Typically a leader is appointed to run the house under established guidelines and provide oversight to residents. This part I feel comfortable with, the logistics of making it financially profitable and being able to reinvest in future houses is what I’m a little lost on. Thoughts?

@Jason Lavender I have absolutely no experience or knowledge really on this topic, but with that said, I think it could be tricky mixing this type of property class with a profit in mind. You've eluded to the fact that it's been done before, and I do not doubt that. Personally, it just seems that some things may be better left untouched by investors - and this seems like one of them.

I would think the pressure to crank out a positive cash flow or ensure you're making a profit could conflict with the goal and intention of providing the folks with a well-suited and safe environment.

Hopefully someone with extensive experience will chime in and give you a more appropriate response to your questions - I'm interested in at least learning more about this subject.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you