Dog poop and urine - dirty property with potential

6 Replies

Deal showed up next door! Can acquire for $85,000. Comps in area are going for $230,000. approx 1,200 ft cape cod, brick. Owners have been served health hazard notice for hoarding garbage, and three dogs inside for months on end. There is feces everywhere and urine to add the pleasant "new home" aroma.

Anyone have experience getting SERIOUS PET SMELLS out of a house? Since I have a wide margin, I was planning to take out all plaster walls and ceilings, as well as rip our floors all the way through the subfloors. Any further tips or cautions I should be aware of before putting on my HAZMAT suit and doing this deal?

I arranging a private sale with owner - he needs full-time medical care, and he likes me, so he is willing to part with property if I pay off his mortgage and slide some cash his way. However, I could reserve capital for improvements if I take over his mortgage. Any tips on TAKING OVER a mortgage?

Thanks!

Matt,

Congratulations on finding that smoking hot deal.  When looking at investment property, pet odors smell like money.

I bought one of these a few years back and was prepared for chemical warfare.  After we pulled out the carpet and pad, left the windows open with fans blowing and let the place sit a few days, I realized it wasn't as bad as I feared.  Mine was on a slab, so this might have helped (I just cleaned the slab with a mild bleach and water solution).  Smell was gone, so I didn't need to pull out the sheet rock or do anything crazy.

I put in new flooring, painted and rented it out.  Smell never returned.

Good Luck!

Chris

You probably wont need to replace all or any of the drywall. Usually 1 or 2 coats of kilz or zinsser will usually do it. As for the sub floors, as long as they arent soft, you can probably get away with using kilz or zinsser too. There is a good chance you will have to replace some of the base boards though. 

I would also suggest that you have a clean up crew bleach the walls and trim before priming the walls. 

It could be a full gut (or close to it) as you suggest, but in my experience that is usually not the case.

Agree to the above posts...these deals smell like money! Ive bought several in similar contition...vintage homes. Same thing...pull out the carpet and pad...air out the place, and invest in a lot of KILZ. use it as a primer for everything. Ive been pleasantly surprised how well this works. And...congrats on this deal!

Agree to the above posts...these deals smell like money! Ive bought several in similar contition...vintage homes. Same thing...pull out the carpet and pad...air out the place, and invest in a lot of KILZ. use it as a primer for everything. Ive been pleasantly surprised how well this works. And...congrats on this deal!

Chris, you had me cracking up over here. If you haven't trademarked "pet odors smell like money" yet, you should! :)

Thank you all for your feedback! I am excited for my first adventure in real estate - I will stock up on the KILZ

Do not wash concrete with bleach. Google that if you’d like more info.

If raw concrete is smelly use a neutralizer product, apply THICK and throw down some poly for ~12 hours or better.

TSP everything

Prime w KILZ

Paint

Replace ALL soft surfaces. Doubtful you’ll need to do subfloor but maybe. All carpet or blinds etc gotta go.

Rinse recycle repeat. Love these deals.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you