analyzing employers and industries

4 Replies

What resources do you guys use to research/analyze the largest employers and industries in a particular town?

Thank you

Unless the town is really small, (less than 50,000) people or an employer is a very large percentage of employment you are overthinking this.  I wouldn't invest in towns with a single large employer anyway.

Originally posted by @Jason Ma:

What resources do you guys use to research/analyze the largest employers and industries in a particular town?

Google the name of the city and look at its Wikipedia page, the local chamber of commerce page, and whatever else comes back.

Once I decided to retire in Florida, I then had to decide where in Florida. Some TV and radio stations stream their local news over the web. I got a feel for what life might be like based on the stories that made the local news. 

Originally posted by @Account Closed :
Originally posted by @Jason Ma:

Google the name of the city and look at its Wikipedia page, the local chamber of commerce page, and whatever else comes back.

Once I decided to retire in Florida, I then had to decide where in Florida. Some TV and radio stations stream their local news over the web. I got a feel for what life might be like based on the stories that made the local news. 

thank you

Originally posted by @Aaron K. :

Unless the town is really small, (less than 50,000) people or an employer is a very large percentage of employment you are overthinking this.  I wouldn't invest in towns with a single large employer anyway.

True! But what I am looking for is an economic anchor in the area

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you