Votes
Michael Davis
  • Wilmington, DE
Votes |
Finding new contractors in new investing location-Philadelphia

Michael Davis
  • Wilmington, DE
Posted Jul 30 2018, 19:49

I've taken a leap of faith and am going to be investing into an area that I have never invested in before. I have a property under contract in the City of Philadelphia in the Francisville community. Property has lots of potential and will turn a great profit. However, my only concern is finding a reliable contractor in such a large city setting such as Philly.

What is the best way to go about finding a dependable, trustworthy contractor in such a large city? I have used apps like Thumbtack before that have been hit or miss (about 50/50) but would rather not leave such a large project in the hands of something that "may" work out. I have someone that will be able to perform some of the finishing carpentry work that I have used several times in the past, but do not have any solid connections with other trades...yet. 

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mike

User Stats

Votes
Mark Gallagher
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Allentown, PA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Allentown, PA
Replied Jul 30 2018, 19:51

@Michael Davis

Hit the streets looking for people working on renovations nearby. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Davis
  • Wilmington, DE
Votes |
  • Wilmington, DE
Replied Jul 30 2018, 19:53

@Mark Gallagher Sound advice. Don’t know how I didn’t think about that the many times I’ve looked at properties. I appreciate it. 

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Calvin Lipscomb
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Aug 1 2018, 03:22
Originally posted by @Michael Davis:

@Mark Gallagher Sound advice. Don’t know how I didn’t think about that the many times I’ve looked at properties. I appreciate it. 

Congrats and good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Davis
  • Wilmington, DE
Votes |
  • Wilmington, DE
Replied Aug 1 2018, 03:33
@Calvin Lipscomb Thank you Calvin!

User Stats

Votes
Calvin Lipscomb
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Aug 1 2018, 03:56
Originally posted by @Michael Davis:
@Calvin Lipscomb Thank you Calvin!

I also drove around Philly and collected a few cards from contractors actively working.  It also provides you the opportunity to inspect the work while it is happening.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Davis
  • Wilmington, DE
Votes |
  • Wilmington, DE
Replied Aug 1 2018, 04:01
@Calvin Lipscomb It’s a really good method to finding contractors who are actually working and like you said, see their work happening while in the trenches.

User Stats

Votes
Sheryl Sitman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Sep 12 2018, 06:33

I have been burned badly by contractors who I thought I vetted well enough -- recommendations, saw their work, signed contracts, etc etc. It is a very very important part of investing that can make or break you. I have 3 teams I use now for different types of work. Took me 2 years to get to the right people and a lot of money, time an stress under the bridge. The combination of honest, professional and with the ability to manage projects is not common - particularly for budget sensitive projects. I have a team I would love to recommend to you because after doing many projects with them I have a slow down in my own activity and I want them to stay busy because they  are good. Fell free to PM me.