Should I flip a few houses before investing in rentals?

2 Replies

Hi all,

I have been learning SO much about real estate investing over the past few weeks. I have a little capital to start with and I want to pull the trigger soon here. My long term goal would be to own rentals for passive income. However, I am wondering if that will tie up all my capital in between purchases or if there is a strategy that I am unaware of? 

Example: If I have 50k to start with and have to put it all down on an investment property, do I have to save another [50k or some other amount] to put down on my next investment property?

Would it be a good idea to do some flips first to build some more capital? 

I want to move ahead quickly in the real estate investment game and I'm just wondering what's the best and fastest way to do this. 

Flipping is not easy especially if you have never done it before, you might be better off starting with a rental, learning a bit about rehab and repairs then selling it a year or two down the line.  Most people lose money on their first flip.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you