How do you hire your team members?

1 Reply

We are looking to hire an Assistant Property Manager for our Portland based property management company. In the past I’ve used Indeed for varying degrees of success and personal references. The problem is the overwhelming responses, mostly bad, and the time it takes to make selections, schedule interviews, and go through the whole process. Anyone have any good tips on how they like to find talent and save time in their hiring process?

I've done a lot of hiring in my day job, and yes, it is time consuming. Referrals from people who you respect can be very helpful. I'm also a big fan of "tell me about a time" interview questions. They don't necessary have to be real estate related- "tell me about a time when you had to solve a problem under time pressure." "tell me about a time when you had competing priorities, how did you get things done?" "tell me about a time when you had to deal with someone who was upset."  Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you