Investor-Assistant/MLS Access — Northern Virginia

2 Replies

Hello everyone,

I was just advised that if I want to be serious about this business, I need MLS access. I live in Northern Virginia.

Is there any realtor out there interested in splitting the cost of their MLS subscription in exchange for granting me access? I understand I could be designated as an assistant and obtain access this way.

Thanks in advance!

Yikes @Mona K. ! I realize you are just repeating what someone told you and don't realize what it means. Let me try to explain. Licensed agents are not allowed to share their MLS login info. We can hire an unlicensed assistant - to assist us in our business, such as previewing properties, etc. In my market our MLS this requires the unlicensed assistant to take a class and get their own MLS ID and log-in. A person with an assistant key cannot open lockboxes without a code that has to be obtained by the selling brokerage.

If you want legal access to MLS to run your business, it is easy enough to just get licensed. Another alternative is to find another source for comps. There are plenty of services you can subscribe to to get even better data than the MLS because they give you all sales, not just sales through the MLS. Check out Red Bell and Realquest.

Assistant access is for individuals that are employed by the agent. If you are not a salaried or 1099ed employee of an agent you can not have assistant access.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you